Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Copper

Default gun builder new to engraving

Hi all, I am new to engraving and have always wanted to learn how. Recently I made the plunge to find out how. Why I did this stemmed from a flintlock build that I just finished. A left hand jeager that turned out real nice. Somehow the gun just does not seem finished without some engraving. My tool and die background set me on a research path that led me to seek out a mentor who could set me on the right path of how and why. I contacted Carl Bleile in Cincinnati ohio as a mentor / professor. We set a time for two 8 hour days. I showed up and jumped right into the deep end with carl at my side. The following pictures speak for themselves. The first picture is as I started with carl barely able to cut a straight line. The second day and 16 hours later I completed the finished piece in roughly an hour. Hard for me to believe!

The following letter is a thank you that I recently sent to Carl. It os as follows:

Hi Carl, Thought I would drop you a note and let you know that I did contact Lindsay and got an order together while everything was fresh in my mind. Got everything needed to start working again. On my way home I had plenty of time to think about that last plate I did. I now understand that I need to think about staying to the edge of the line rather than following the line with the center of the graver. Plenty of practicing to follow that is for sure. I will not rest until I get those scrolls to look correct going from thick to thin gracefully.

One thing I have noticed is that my right forearm muscles are sore from turning the vise. You had warned me about that. Funny thing was that my eyes were tired but not blurry like they have been in the past while gunstock carving. This may be due to the surrounding light being too bright instead of just using the lamp light to work with as we did for two days.

Looking back 16 hrs. it is hard to believe that the progression for me was so great. Going from knowing nothing to a rather well rounded apprentice. I like that kind of learning......the front end loader approach. Feed me as much as I can handle. The end result for me is more than impressive. This is all due to a wonderful teacher/professor. Your knowledge, insight and ability to convey the engraving gamit saved me thousands of dollars, frustration, and time wasted trying to figure out this skill. I do not know why anyone in their right mind who would NOT want to study under you. Your patience and ability to read people and feed them at the correct rate is uncanny. I know this because I have taught my employees for many years in the tool and die industry.

I cannot thank you enough for what great school you provide. You are a wonderful person who is just common folk who wants to pass the trade along. I did not find you out of the ordinary or aloof but rather just another tool and die guy who I would respect in the trade. We trade guys do not beat around the bush.......we just tell it like it is. Maybe this is why I found you so easy to learn from.

Thank you again Carl for such a wonderful learning experience.

Forrest (Bud) Mohrman

In my opinion Carl is a very good person who wants to pass on the engraving tradition to those who seek it out. If you want to learn to (engrave) rather than (learning how to run an engraver) this is the man for the job. He covers the entire subject.

Bud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg start.jpg (109.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg finish.jpg (168.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Default Re: gun builder new to engraving

Great you got to work with Carl!
EngravingArtist.com
Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Platinum

thanks for the kind words and I cant wait to see more from you. keep us posted
Old 04-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Copper

I have a big order pending with Lindsay. When it arrives I am raring to get practicing again. This engraving thing is addicting.

P.S. And for those of you who know me as Forrest.......this is my real name......but in business I was known as Bud.
I won't bore you with all the other alias' such as in college and when I was newly born by my dads navy buddies.

Bud
Old 04-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Platinum

Welcome Bud, sounds like you have a super start, and yes engraving is addicting. This is a great place.

roger from Oz
Old 04-28-2019, 06:42 AM
Copper

Roger, Nice work and sketches. I see a piece of scrap from a stamping plant that you practiced on. Are you in tool and die also?

Bud
Old 04-29-2019, 06:30 AM
Platinum

Hi Bud,
No, no tool and die. I live right outside Wichita where there are lots of aircraft plants and a few scrap metal yards. I just rummage through and find pieces that I can practice on. Never know what you might find. LOTS of aluminum here.

roger from Oz