Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Steel

Default Tomahawk Scroll (finito)

Here are the last two stages of a recently finished tomahawk head with some banknote scrollwork engraved with the Chasing Airgraver....thanks for looking!!!

R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TomahawkScroll 30%.jpg (107.5 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg TomahawkScroll (shaded)30%.jpg (133.1 KB, 322 views)
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover
Default Re: Tomahawk Scroll (finito)

Hey Rick that looks great! WOuld you happen to have a pic of the completed hawk?

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 03-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Gold

Sweet Engraving on the Hawk Rick! I love the bank note engraving! Dwayne

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Steel

Thanks Ray and Dwayne for your kind compliments on the hawk....Unfortunately I won't have the finished pics till the owner gets it back from the maker with the handle installed and then we'll get the sweet pics.

~Rick
Old 05-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Platinum

Oh man!

That was sweet looking before the shading and sculpting - totally amazing after!

Glad this thread popped back up!

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
Oh man!

That was sweet looking before the shading and sculpting - totally amazing after!

Glad this thread popped back up!
Thanks a bunch Steve...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Platinum

Of course now I'm joining in to the chorus saying you have to show us pictures of the completed hawk when you get it back. :camera:

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Platinum

Rick,

That is absolutly exquisite scrollwork on that hawk! Have you been following the thread in the main forum entitled "Thoughts"? It mainly centers around engraving styles on 18th and early 19th century arms. Most examples of that period, especially American are engraved in a fairly naive fashion and compared to your work on the hawk, downright crude in some cases. What is your feeling regarding doing such refined work on a replica of an early American artifact?

Thanks,

Roger
Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Steel

Wow,

Great looking work. I like the design.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
Of course now I'm joining in to the chorus saying you have to show us pictures of the completed hawk when you get it back. :camera:
Steve....I will be sure to post them as soon as humanly possible.I'm waiting to see the finished product myself. and thatnks again for your generous compliments.
~Rick Simmons
Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bleile
Rick,

That is absolutly exquisite scrollwork on that hawk! Have you been following the thread in the main forum entitled "Thoughts"? It mainly centers around engraving styles on 18th and early 19th century arms. Most examples of that period, especially American are engraved in a fairly naive fashion and compared to your work on the hawk, downright crude in some cases. What is your feeling regarding doing such refined work on a replica of an early American artifact?

Thanks,

Roger
Roger,

Thanks for the kind words....its nice for folks to notice the "handy-work". I didn't really have one inkling of "period" aesthetic in my mind when I set out to design the scroll for the tomahawk. I just want my passion and my vibe to shine through in the engraving. It's what makes it personally gratifying to engrave for a living. The tomahawk was a good canvas to utilize for that. Lord knows we can't do that on every job we engrave, per the customers requests, trade work, etc...but here was an opportunity to be free with the design and so there it is. The more work I do like this, the more clients I get that give me freedom to design things how I like them and thats an added plus to getting your top-notch work in the public eye. Thanks again for the generous and complimentary reply to this post...it means a lot to me!!!

~regards,

Rick Simmons
Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair33
Wow,

Great looking work. I like the design.
Thanks Thinair33, for checking out the post and for the compliment my friend
Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S
Roger,

Thanks for the kind words....its nice for folks to notice the "handy-work". I didn't really have one inkling of "period" aesthetic in my mind when I set out to design the scroll for the tomahawk. I just want my passion and my vibe to shine through in the engraving. It's what makes it personally gratifying to engrave for a living. The tomahawk was a good canvas to utilize for that. Lord knows we can't do that on every job we engrave, per the customers requests, trade work, etc...but here was an opportunity to be free with the design and so there it is. The more work I do like this, the more clients I get that give me freedom to design things how I like them and thats an added plus to getting your top-notch work in the public eye. Thanks again for the generous and complimentary reply to this post...it means a lot to me!!!

~regards,

Rick Simmons
In some ways that is an accurate representation. I'm sure the engravers of the period were no different than us and often simpler designs they used were more a matter of time constraints then their not being able to do the same sort of work you did.

In fact, when you look at some of the masterworks where they did have the time to 'do it right' it's pretty obvious that they would have done something like you did if they had been allowed to.

Ok, sure, some might have been limited by visibility - poorer lighting and no magnifcation but that's true even today.

So if someone says that it's not 'period accurate' just tell them that it is - as long as you assume it was owned by either the engraver himself or someone rich enough to pay for all that time.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Steel

Steve,

I concur, I concur....thanks for the confident reply. The point I think your making is that tasteful embellishment has the timelessness factor going for it no matter when it was engraved. I appreciate your observance to the facts of the matter Steve. Thanks again for taking the time.

~regards,

Rick Simmons
Old 05-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Platinum

Well, one of the good things about my job is that it (usually) gives me time to swing through on the computer so time to 'talk' I've got.

I just wish I had more time to engrave!

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album