Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Tutorials and Contests - Hand Engraving Forum > Tutorial Contest Archive
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Gold

Default Gene's 3rd contest submission

(If you would like to comment on this submission, you may do so by posting a reply in this thread. Thanks! Kaitlin)

These are a couple of pre-made bolsters to a knife kit. I am not making the knife, just engraving the bolsters. I don't know what kind of metal these are for sure but I did some practice cuts on the back of one and they seem to be a casting of some sort, steel I assume. Very grainy.

I am working on the design now and will post that next.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Gold

Default Re: Gene's 3rd contest submission

It's been awhile since I've had time to work on my latest submission. Cpnditions at my day job have changed and consequently I don't have as much time left for my engraving practice. This situation isn't permanent, thank goodness, and as soon as I can get another person trained I will have more time to practice.

Although I have completed the first two submissions, I still want to finish the voluntary 3rd one that I started a few weeks ago. This is only for extra credit you might say.

Here are some rough sketches of my planned design. I apologize for the poor photo quality of the drawings. The sketch at the lower left is the one I'm using as the final.

This following photo is of the first bolster. Being a little squeezed for time I decided to freehand the design on to the metal using the modeling clay method. The challenge to this technique comes in duplicating the reverse on the other bolster, IMO. That one is yet to come.

The treatment for the background is sandblasted instead of removal.

Closed Thread