Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Steel

Send a message via MSN to pkasnes
Default Airgraver and airsupply.

Hey everyone.

I`ve almost convinced myself to buy an Airgraver this autumn. But there is 2 things I wonder about.

1. Is it possible to use co2 cartrigde as an airsupply for the Airgraver?. I can read on Lindsay`s homepage that it is possible with the palmcontrolled Airgraver, but I can`t find any info. about the regular Airgraver. As the air flows through a regulator, I will asume theres no difference between using a compressor or a cartridge. I am planning to use the Airgraver both at work and at home. The problem will occur when using airgraver at home with no compressor available.

2. How long time does it take from I send in an orderform to the Airgraver is sent from Lindsay? (Approx.) Do we talk about months?

There will probably be more questions later, but we can start with start with these 2.

Thanks.

Pål
Old 06-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover
Default Re: Airgraver and airsupply.

The co2 works best with the palm control. It will work with the foot pedal model but you will be going through a lot of gas since it takes a lot more air to make the footpedal model work.

A full 20oz tank will last about 8hrs with the palm control. I would guess you would get maybe an hour of work done with the foot pedal since it uses more air.

If the extra cost is an issue you can get a small air compressor fairly cheap. It doesn't take large compressor to run either tool.

Ray
Old 06-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Steel

Thanks for quick respons.

I know that I can get a compressor for 150 - 160 $ but they are noisy! I`m living in a flat with neighbours all around me. And I can imagine the neighbours aren`t that keen on listening on a compressor every 20 minute through the night.

I now realise that my cartrigde/Airgraver idea doesn`t sound that good, and I know the best thing will offcourse be putting in another 1000$ for a silent compressor. But my shopping/wish list is getting more and more expensive. Airgraver, vise and microscope. And now a compressor.

Maybe I need to check out some used compressors, and put the scope on hold.

Im living in Norway, so used equip. from ebay is a bit difficult.

Pål

Last edited by pkasnes; 06-28-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Platinum

Here is my recomendation. Brian Marshal and Steve you guys need to chime in here too.

If you are just starting out and want a set up that is portable between your work and home, here are some things to consider.

-Carrying a scope back and forth will be a pain. I beleive you would be better off getting a used pair of magnifiers like a set of surgeon's loupes or even optivisors. You will not need a scope until your skill level reaches a point where you can put an extremely high amount of detail in your work.

-The palm control is much easier to carry back and forth. You have one unit (the handpiece itself) and a small length of tubing. With the regular foot pedal model you have the handpiece, foot pedal, regulator unit, and three times as much tubing. The palm control you can put in your pocket the other you need a case or box to carry it.

- I do not know how large of a peice you will be working on but if you are doing small stuff like jewelry or knife parts you can probably get by just fine with one of the small Microballs the other guys sell (sorry Steve):o. You may also get by just fine with a regular tool vise on a lazy suzan type turntable. Unless you are doing large heavy peices you do not need one of the monster sized engravers ball vises.

Looking at your situation I would recomend for you to spend the money and get the most portable set up ( the palm control with co2 regulator) and save your self money on the optics and vise. Portablilty and weight are a consideration for you as well as the cost and noise. It will get old carrying a 100 pounds of equipment back and forth. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you have a source to get the 20oz co2 refilled in your area and that it is cost effective to use the co2 refills.

Ray
Old 06-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Platinum

Pal,

Another consideration for holding work is a pitchbowl or even a traditional leather sand bag. Again it really depends on what type of objects you will be cutting.

Is there any chance of your workplace buying the vise and scope and you buying the engraving tool. It seems to me that if you are using your equipment at work to benefit their business they need to help with the investment in equipment.

Ray
Old 06-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkasnes
2. How long time does it take from I send in an orderform to the Airgraver is sent from Lindsay? (Approx.) Do we talk about months?
Pål
Welcome Pål,
The AirGravers with foot control are generally shipping 3 to 5 working days after
receiving payment. AirGravers with PalmControl are currently shipping 5 to 8 weeks.

Steve
Old 06-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Platinum

We need a little better description of your environment - is home an apartment - or a house? How close are your neighbors to the wall nearest where you intend to work?

How many hours do you plan to use the Airgraver at work versus at home. What kind of work? Light stone setting, light engraving - or full days of heavy usage?

What is your optimum budget for everything you need to get the job done?

So far you have listed the Airgraver, a source of compressed gas, magnification and a work holding device... anything else?

Can you get by with "head mounted" magnification? What kind of articles will you be holding? Are they one of a kind pieces or small production runs?

These kinds of details will enable us to offer you more precise advice.

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Steel

I must first say that I am grateful for you guys take your time to help me with these questions.

And second: I know that to get this equipment, you need money. I`m not looking for cheap shortcuts, but advises from experienced user, so I dont wast time and money.

I`m working for a company here in Norway as a fulltime jeweler. I don`t need the airgraver for my dayjob, but I am willing to pay for this equipment so I can learn the art of engraving at my sparetime. And maybe use it for stonesetting at work. The last two or three years I have been setting stones in jewellery with the traditional gravers. Pushed by hand. The last year I have also spend time to try to engrave this way. The stonesetting part is commercial trough my dayjob. The engraving is just for fun, but one day.....
As for optical devices, I`m using a optivisor at work, and probably will do that for the near future as well. The microscope is put on a wish-list. I have one engravers vise, using it for stonesetting at work.

Brian asked what "home" is, its an apartment, with a neighbour just on the other side of the wall from where I am thinking of setting up the engravers bench. So loud compressors are not a good idea.

The original plan was to buy an airgraver, set up a engravers bench at home, with a vise and powerhone (have allready) and use a lot of my spare time to get good at engrave text and letters. And later scrollwork.
And as I wrote earlier, I have a compressor at work, so it would be nice to just bring the airgraver to work when needed.
I can hear you all scream: "Palm controll airgraver!". Co2 cartridge at home and compressor at work. Done!

But. Is it possible to buy two regulators? On Lindsay`s homepage you can buy just the heel/toe controller, is the regulator included. At home I can have a silent compressor with a regulator, at work a compressor with a regulator, and just bring the airgraver and heel/toe controller back and forth.

Brian asked about optimum budget. 3000$ for a complete palm controll airgraver is over my budget, and thats why I`m still bothering you guys. The setup mentioned above is around 2000$+ with the smallest compressor at Lindsay`s shop. Then I have to add shipping and 25% tax when the package cross the Norwegian border.

I hope I don`t bothering you to much.

Pål
Old 06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Platinum

Pal,

You don't ned to buy an air compressor from the US. Mine is made in Germany. Its a Novair brand and is covered with German text that I cannot read. I am sure you can find this type of silent compressor closer to home. I would be willing to bet there is a manufacuter in the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Gerrnany, or other central Europen country that is making these at a fair price.

Ray
Old 06-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Gold

Hi Pål

My silent compressor is a Jun-Air made in Sweden which I think is a little closer to home for you. It's very quiet and makes slighly more noise than a refridgerator. A search on the net should be able to find a place close to you that sells them.

Best regards
Andrew Biggs
Old 06-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Steel

Hi Pål

I was close friends with Bertil Aasland who was also from Norway. As you know you power setup is different that ours in the US ( ie 120v 240v ) Bertil had a Silent Compressor from MGF out of Italy which ran on 240 v. I bought a refurbished used Silent air compressor and it has run great for me. I have had it about 3 years and it is still running.

Bill Rice
Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Steel

All night I have been browsing the internet for compressors. Still haven`t found what I`m looking for. But the night is still young. As some of you guys says, there is alot of manufacturers, so I just have to check a few more websites.

I didn`t know that mr. Aasland was norwegian. I have come across picture of his superb work now and then, and every time I have wondered what kind of connection he had to Norway. Typical norwegian name. Even more websites to explore, this time for pics of mr. Aaslands work.

Again, I appriciate all your answers.

Pål
Old 06-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Gold

As Andrew Biggs said, Jun-Air is made in Sweden and Sil-Air is made in Italy. Both companies make them equiped for either US or EU electrical voltage.
John.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Steel

I have found some airbrush-supply companies here in Norway that sells small silent compressors. The specs looks much like the smallest compressor that Lindsay sells. It will be much easier to shop that kind of equipment here in Norway.

Is the regulator skipped with the airgraver some kind of special regulator, or will any air-regulator do the same job?

Pål
Old 06-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Copper

Smile Re: Airgraver and airsupply.

Hi Pål!

It is nice to meet another Norwegian!

I am not sure, but maybe you will find my setup interesting. (I hope I managed to post the picture right) As you hopefully can see, I use a Zeiss microscope.
The illumination is lead through the center of the lens via fiber optic. The advantage is that you will not be disturbed by “shadows” as you work.
The scope stand is wall mounted and is a modified TV mount similar to the kind you find in small hotel rooms ( yes, I travel a lot ) The setup is not suitable for long items like rifle barrels etc. but so far, and for a long time still, I will continue with my practice plates!

I have also made a turntable that I control with my feet. It makes it easier to achieve smooth curves. (Don’t ask me to show you any quite yet… so far most of my practice plates are located on the bottom of the sea outside Oslo

Anyway, I find it easier than turning the vice by hand. I have turned the foot control into a hand control as I have it under my left forearm, I have done this because my feet are busy turning the vice and personally I find it quite comfortable.

The Lindsay Classic air graver was my choice and I am very satisfied with it. When it comes to the air compressor mine is pretty noisy, but I know there are more silent air compressors available in Norway too.

You are of course welcome to contact me if you need any further information.

Robert
Arbeidsbord 001.jpg

Arbeidsbord 002.jpg
Old 07-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Platinum

The Silent Air compressor I have makes so little noise if I forget to turn it off, I can't hear it through an inside door in the room. I think unless you live in a place with paper walls, no one will hear the compressor.
A dishwasher makes more noise then the Silent Air, and remember it will only have to run when you are engraving, so it won't be a nusance unless you engrave at 3:00am like I do.
Tim
Old 07-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Platinum

3:00 Am????

Huh, I do that too. Glad to know I'm not the only night owl.

Ray