Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,738. Welcome to our newest member, KarriG
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Steel

Default First Motorcycle Cover Set

Hi! This is my first complete motorcycle cover set for Harley Davidson Twin Cam 88! I would like to hear some opinions about the cost of this work, because I don't have any idea!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Gold

Send a message via Skype™ to ihsfab
Default Re: First Motorcycle Cover Set

Do you have any idea about how much time you have involved in the set?

Multiple Sclerosis BITES
Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Steel

This is my first project and it took me longer than I've expected. In future, I think, I'll make it for about 100 hours (about 2 weeks). So, let say, it took me 100 hours.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Gold

Send a message via Skype™ to ihsfab

You might try and talk with CJ Allan about this. I would think he would have a better idea about what to charge for something like this more than anyone else on the forum would.
I have thought about doing the same thing but I have no idea how much something like this goes for.

Multiple Sclerosis BITES
Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Steel

Thank you ihsfab!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovko View Post
Hi! This is my first complete motorcycle cover set for Harley Davidson Twin Cam 88! I would like to hear some opinions about the cost of this work, because I don't have any idea!
HI Yovko,
You have done nice work on those parts.
My advise is agree on prices before you do the work .
Thank you for the photographs keep up the good work
SE
Old 11-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Steel

Thank you for this advice SEngraver! This is my first product and I don't have a buyer for this set. This is the reason why I'm asking how much is worth. I just would like to know fair price for this kind of work, because I don't want to go over the normal! I hope in future,I'll have a chance, to do agreement with somebody about the price!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Platinum

Yovko,

I would, as stated earlier, contat CJ Allen or Otto Carter or Chris Malouf and send them the pictures. They should be able to let you know. There is a website, Steel Tattoos, that has their work priced. It might serve as a guide as well.

I would put an ad on eBay. Take really good pictures with cool stuff in the background (knife...playing cards..stuff like that) the pictures are everything.

Set a reserve price---Cost of parts + your minimum acceptable profit.

profit being your hourly charge...$25 X 100 = $2500 (example )
If you get that much I get 10%

The one other option I would suggest is to contact all of your local HOG chapters and offer to come to their monthly meeting and describe your work and skills... all chapters kill for guest speakers...and keep this set as a demonstration item.

Just some thoughts...

Donny
Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Steel

Nice work Yovko!!
Do you use a graver or rotary tool to remove the background?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Steel

Thank you Donny for this information! You have 10%!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Steel

Hi choppers_rule! I used rotary tool to remove the background! For example Blue Point!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Platinum

Checking in here ... pricing is one of those tricky things where, on a forum, you're kinda laughed at for being too high or too low (it's never in between it seems). This is a specific area that people need help most. Learning to value your work early on is, in the long run, good for engravers, craftspeople and artisans everywhere.

Motorcycle engraving is particularly tough. There are a lot of people who are, in my opinion, underselling their work simply because they are doing it on the side, are not hungry or sometimes in fear of not having work. Basically what that means is the work you are doing has to be clearly above the work that's dominating the lower price marks.

Speculation work is good because it satisfies the impulse buyer and as a result gives you some control over the price. There's no negotiating before the work is started and the time invested is after the fact and not estimated. Skulls and scrolls is the theme which is always in demand. Very important is to make sure there is nothing left to be desired in the amount of engraving. I would extend the coverage over the top toward the front of the primary and on the visible portion of the top rocker covers. Leaving little to be desired will help guarantee you get your asking price.

Donny's number is pretty much spot on. I would say around $2,500 to $3,000 on top of the price of the parts after the amount of coverage has been extended on the primary and rockers. This is taking into account the quality of work and extent of coverage. The quality is very good and far above what one would expect from a beginner where the relief provides very desirable contrast indicative of higher priced work. The only thing I see holding you back is composing and drawing complex scroll pattens.

I wouldn't take less than $2,500 and this amount of work should require between 2-3 weeks. This is pretty much a complete engine and it is cash and carry which, in itself, is also worth a few bucks. There are a lot of people out there who want custom stuff ... they believe all of the plated tin hanging on the Harley dealer wall is "custom" and will drop $5K in a heart beat on chrome packages. These folks have also never seen engraving .... keep that in mind and don't sell yourself short.

btw ... this is a very gutsy project and that's exactly what it takes. You will do well.

Last edited by WVEngraver; 11-07-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Platinum

HI Chris,

That is
very good advise I found it beneficial too,Thank you.
SE
Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Platinum

You're very welcome SE ... and thanx for sayin' so. I made a few changes to the original post so it should be more straightforward.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Malouf View Post
You're very welcome SE ... and thanx for sayin' so. I made a few changes to the original post so it should be more straightforward.
Hi Chris,

You are always a great source of good advise in many ways.
I read your post after the changes you made.
Thank you again for letting me know.

Most Appreciated
SE
Old 11-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Steel

Hi Chris!
Thank you! I appreciate your advices! I already have a buyer for this set and I work on the next one! I'll keep in mind your advices! Pictures are coming soon!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Steel

This is the derby cover I finished yesterday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0679.jpg (107.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum

Hi Yovko,

Thats awesome,nice work and admirable .
SE
Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Platinum

Excellent work. Which Williamsburg are you in? Are you on the East Coast? I've cut back my motorcycle engraving quite a bit and it would be great to refer some of the requests.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Steel

Hi Chris!
Thank you! I'm living in Williamsburg, Virginia, East Coast! I just moved from Florida and I still work in home, but me and my business partner from BadG Customs, we are opening a shop soon . If somebody wants to make a contact with me, can do it on http://www.badgcustoms.com ! Thank you again! I appreciate your help!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Steel

"POW MIA" primary cover finally has been completed!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0721.jpg (107.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0727.jpg (102.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Steel

Quote:
Checking in here ... pricing is one of those tricky things where, on a forum, you're kinda laughed at for being too high or too low (it's never in between it seems). This is a specific area that people need help most. Learning to value your work early on is, in the long run, good for engravers, craftspeople and artisans everywhere.

Motorcycle engraving is particularly tough. There are a lot of people who are, in my opinion, underselling their work simply because they are doing it on the side, are not hungry or sometimes in fear of not having work. Basically what that means is the work you are doing has to be clearly above the work that's dominating the lower price marks.

Speculation work is good because it satisfies the impulse buyer and as a result gives you some control over the price. There's no negotiating before the work is started and the time invested is after the fact and not estimated. Skulls and scrolls is the theme which is always in demand. Very important is to make sure there is nothing left to be desired in the amount of engraving. I would extend the coverage over the top toward the front of the primary and on the visible portion of the top rocker covers. Leaving little to be desired will help guarantee you get your asking price.

Donny's number is pretty much spot on. I would say around $2,500 to $3,000 on top of the price of the parts after the amount of coverage has been extended on the primary and rockers. This is taking into account the quality of work and extent of coverage. The quality is very good and far above what one would expect from a beginner where the relief provides very desirable contrast indicative of higher priced work. The only thing I see holding you back is composing and drawing complex scroll pattens.

I wouldn't take less than $2,500 and this amount of work should require between 2-3 weeks. This is pretty much a complete engine and it is cash and carry which, in itself, is also worth a few bucks. There are a lot of people out there who want custom stuff ... they believe all of the plated tin hanging on the Harley dealer wall is "custom" and will drop $5K in a heart beat on chrome packages. These folks have also never seen engraving .... keep that in mind and don't sell yourself short.

btw ... this is a very gutsy project and that's exactly what it takes. You will do well.
Thank you for sharing this valuable advice Chris! Greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovko View Post
"POW MIA" primary cover finally has been completed!!!
Hi Yovko,

The cover has come out nice.
SE
Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Platinum

Quote:

Thanks a lot for all your good advice, Chris! I'll keep all that in mind tooIt's always a pleasure to read your clear explanations on how to handle different beginner's problems! Paulsph