Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Gold

Default Need some assistance...

From those of you that have interest and knowledge in blackpowder firearms. I am aware this request is not engraving related but trust there might be someone here that can help.

Normally I can find most of what I am looking for by Googling, but this time I am coming short on this older "antique" single barrel, percussion, blackpowder shotgun.

It has a 40" barrel which starts octagonal at the breech plug for about 2", then is turned round to end of the barrel. The fore end of the stock is capped with steel and is part of the bottom portion of the barrel (much like the liner in-between a double barrel shotgun) and has two ram rod guides welded to it. Barrel is stamped "J Rickets, Mansfield O." Lockplate has "Henry Elwell Warranted" stamped into it. It also has what looks to have some scrollwork and some birds, much like a pheasant maybe? Hammer is also stamped with scroll also.

Single trigger with brass trigger guard and brass butt plate. It is nothing more than what I would consider a "wall hanger" but I would like to find out some of the history on it. Armed with some of that information I may be able to trade for some kit to start building me a working Hawken rifle.

Any assistance one might provide would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get a picture if my "point and shoot" will provide a decent one, soon.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Need some assistance...

John Rickets (1815-?) worked in Mansfield, Ohio from 1850-circa 1890.
Henry Elwell was a lockmaker from Seneca county, Ohio.
There's a book called "Gunsmiths of Ohio", which is fairly pricey, that may contain more information, and a large collector's association located in Ohio dedicated to Ohio made guns. You might be able to google them up and contact them.

Lower grade fowlers have relatively little value, unless in pristine condition. Most sell for less than $500. "A picture" is of no value. Collectors and buyers will want close up, detailed pictures showing the features of the gun.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Gold

Default Re: Need some assistance...

You share what I suspected, Thanks for the reply.

It will still make a good wall hanger nonetheless...