Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Steel

Default almost had my airgraver in the bag

so I have decided to save up and buy an airgraver and like many people have had to make some sacrifices to come up with the funds for it. whether it be saving up or what, it is a bit of an investment. I myself decided that I would sell my ford ranger to gain the funds needed to buy one. It was my spare vehicle but still selling my truck was a sacrifice i was willing to make. unfortunately I just received word that I owe our friends at the federal government $968 in taxes. I didn't make any more money this year and my work didn't take any extra taxes out (last year I got $200 back). I am in probably one of the lowest tax brackets so why the heck did my taxes go up? so much for this entire the lower earners will get a tax break !!! Mr. Obama, you owe me an airgraver, and while your at it please include a palm control. thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Platinum

Default Re: almost had my airgraver in the bag

I read this on the Politico.com forum last week. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on .... it's hillarious.

Obama is my Shepherd, I shall not want
He leadeth me besides still factories,
He maketh me to lie down upon park benches
He restoreth my diminished faith in the Repugnat Party
Surely poverty and hard living will follow the Dimocratic party
and I will be lucky to live in a rented house forever and ever ...

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel "
pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the promised land".

Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the promised land".

Now Obama has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of camels, and mortgaged the promised land!

Furthermore, I was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc... I called Lifeline, the suicide help line.

Got a freakin' call center in Pakistan . I told them I was suicidal.

They all got excited and asked if I could drive a truck...

PS
I am glad to be an American,
I am glad I was Free,
but I wish I were a lil dog and Obama were a tree!!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Platinum

That hammer hits the 'rusty nail', Chris !!! I could not explain it in any better words, 'today's reality'...sad but a very true story, my friend ! Kind regards, Paulie
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Steel

Chris that is the funniest thaing i have read in a long time thanks for that, i'm right there with you man...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Gold

Send a message via Yahoo to tonytigerhk45

Chris your right on all accounts but this one
"Obama is my Shepherd, I shall not want" -- "except for him to stop flocking the sheep."
Old 03-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Platinum

Tony .... I didn't write it .... but I wish I had.

We gotta blow off steam with a little humor now and again.

---------

Invictus: Don't feel too badly. I got the money for my equipment when I sold my house, a Z28 and a 2001 HD SuperGlide in Massachusetts after the last computer bubble burst. I hid my Harley Softail from the creditors and "men in black" while paying off the debts. My equipment is all I have to show for it and now that I've moved to West Virginia, I'm too poor to leave.

Keep smilin' guys. That's what life is .... it takes years to become a hero and in a matter of months you're back to ZERO. Soooooo we build it back up again so that our family can auction off our heirlooms, gun collections and tools we cherished while we were here. At least I can say I created something out of nothing and it made people smile.

You'll get there. I promise you will.

Chris
Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Platinum

HI Chris,
I really enjoyed your poetry...a lil hidden talent maybe ? But worth developing it,,,?
Cheers,
SE
ps.when you hero to zero....
How about; Success is not permanent and failure is not final ? ( Dont know who said it !! )
Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Steel

Hang in there Invictus, I am sure this a temporary setback for you and things will improve . My Mother used to say that was the darkest before the Dawn. So lets hope she,s right on this one for you.
Best regards.... George
Old 03-27-2010, 05:19 AM
Platinum

Hi Invictus,
Don't give up mate,that's almost a complete engraving w/shop you are giving up.It can be set up and run to pay the debt.
"When one door closes almighty opens another"
Hang in,you be in our prayers for help.
SE

ps.Success is not permanent and failure is not final? ( Dont know who said this)
Old 03-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Platinum

I'm disabled, not that it matters a hoot other than it's taught me to use what I got. I've been engraving/carving for three plus years now without an Airgraver. I want one bad but that doesn't keep me from carving. It's not the size of our tool/toy pile that makes us happy, its the creating.

Most of my gravers, I was given a Meeks beginner set, are homemade. My lack of tools and instruction may have slowed my progress but it hasn't kept me from learning. I started wood carving before engraving because I had a set of 5 small graver size chisels. That kept me busy until I roughed out my first graver from a broken drill bit and stuck it in a piece of scrap wood I used for a handle.

If all else fails work on your drawing skills. Sketch pad and a pencil has kept me happy in lean times, hospitals and any other place you need to wait. I consider drawing skills the foundation of being an artist.

Most important is to keep a positive attitude towards life,

John
Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Steel

wow, thanks for all the support guys. I think I am going to try the H&C rout for right now because it takes me a long time to save up 1000$. I have never been in debt and refuse to do so, otherwise I would just throw it on a credit card and get it next week. then again that mentality right there is why this country is so deep in the shat. So i guess saving up for it would be the right thing to do.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

~Thomas Jefferson