Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Platinum

Default Location, location, location

Just a gripe I've had for a while which in the long run could prevent some members getting hands on help.

When setting up our membership details we have the opportunity to put in where we come from etc. Many members (particularly those outside the US) just put in their country whitout any more detail than that but if the region or state was mentioned other members may be more forthcoming with offering to get together to help each other out.

Just a thought but some of you may want to revisit your detail page and make some alterations.

Roger
Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Location, location, location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger B View Post
Just a gripe I've had for a while which in the long run could prevent some members getting hands on help.

When setting up our membership details we have the opportunity to put in where we come from etc. Many members (particularly those outside the US) just put in their country whitout any more detail than that but if the region or state was mentioned other members may be more forthcoming with offering to get together to help each other out.

Just a thought but some of you may want to revisit your detail page and make some alterations.

Roger
Yes put this information it's very helpfull, for change the details :
User CP (in the highest menu to the left side of the screen)---->Your profile----->Edit your Details
Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Platinum

RogerB, I invite any members in my area to come visit me at the gun show I attend every three mouths in Chantilly Virginia.Anyone is Roger maybe you could get an engraveing club or guild started down under. J.J.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Many members (particularly those outside the US) just put in their country whitout any more detail than that but if the region or state was mentioned other members may be more forthcoming with offering to get together to help each other out.
Roger,
It's a matter of perspective. For instance, someone saying they are from Belgium gets a person infinitely closer, than saying you are from the southern half of a whole continent. Unless the nearest town or county is given, location is of little value.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Steel

I agree with JJ. However I find it very difficult to find anyone in the New England area. It would be especially helpful if members of the forum would at least state which state that they are in. We've traveled to many shows outside of the New England area just to see what is available. I'd love to be able to visit with people closer to me to learn & discuss techniques with them.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKanger View Post
Roger,
It's a matter of perspective. For instance, someone saying they are from Belgium gets a person infinitely closer, than saying you are from the southern half of a whole continent. Unless the nearest town or county is given, location is of little value.
I presume this is in reference to my location listing as "South Australia".

South Australia is indeed a state - albeit a rather large one when compared with states in the US or countries in Europe (about 3/4 the size of South Africa) but it is nonetheless a state. It has just one city with a population of over 1 million (Adelaide) and a few with more than 30,000. We have rather boring names for states in Oz (but some are descriptive) eg. Western Australia and Victoria, between which you will find South Australia. Most of the area is virtually uninhabited and the majority of its inhabitants will be found huddled around the eastern coast of the state (with a few exceptions) so if an Australian member were to see this location they could make a reasonable assumption where I might be situated.

When members, for instance, list their location as "Australia" it is here that difficulties may arise. It would be similar to someone listing "USA" and wondering if there might be someone close by from whom to seek help.

Roger - Adelaide, South Australia
Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Gold

Good point I guess...

Location changed.