Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum

Default Sass

Can anyone give me some info about this organization? ie how to get started and the most prefferable guns and ammo caliber to use.
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 07-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Sass

David,

Here is a link to my SASS thread in the Water Cooler section.
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662
Here is a link to the SASS home page:
http://www.sassnet.com/
Here is a link to the SASS web forum where you can ask questions:
http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showforum=12
I have been a member for about 6 years. It is a lot of fun. In fact I just shot in a competition on Saturday.

Roger
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Platinum

Well .... you're gonna have to get yourself a costume and pick out a name for yourself. For you Dave ... I recommend a 10 gallon hat and the name "Hoss". ... .

Seriously Dave ... There was a real good magazine out called "Guns of the Old West". Don't know if it is still out there but it had just about everything you needed to know in it ... everything from shooting originals to shooting the spaghetti repros with tons of SASS info in it. If you can't find it on a good news stand then it's probably not in print anymore. I gotta whole stack of them you can have.

I was gonna get into it a few years back and I just never got around to it. I enjoy the long range black powder shooting better but just can't find the time for that either. Here's a photo of the rig I had made about 10 years ago .... it's a Remington 1858 with a hand stitched belt and holster with three pouches for 45 Colt conversion cylinders stitched into it (Yeah ... who didn't love that Eastwood movie). The tie-down slides out of the holster since those were really invented by Hollywood anyway. There's also a cartridge slider for Sharps 50s but it's not in the photo. Thought of selling it many times but always back out. Shooting that 1858 is the most fun I've ever had shooting anything but the revolver fouls and binds up by the time I'm almost done with the 3rd cylinder. One thing your definitely going to have to get into and that is reloading. If you really want to save a ton-o-money .... casting too. Very much like participating in any type of re-enactment, it can get very expensive depending upon how "authentic" you really wanna get. I would love to have had R.L. Millington make a true period conversion but that price is pretty large.

Have fun dude ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00073-sm.jpg (36.3 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by WVEngraver; 07-11-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added
Old 07-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Platinum

Thanks for the info Gentlemen

Chris i allready have the hat LOL
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Platinum

Hello KDavid, If you like shooting you'll love SASS and especially if you shoot black power. I got tired of shooting trap, skeet, and paper targets so I joined SASS and its a whole different experiance. Lots of ways to shoot and lots of catagories to suit your stye and age group. I've never meet such a happy group of sport shooters. Best bet is to find the nearest club and watch them preform. Remember to bring ear plugs & a good set of shooting glasses. Sometimes those BB's from the shotguns can sting alittle! Good Luck....JohnR Alies: Soapy Smith
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Platinum

Thanks I am invited to a club this Saturday, I will be going to just get a feel for what I meght be getting myself into LOL
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 07-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Platinum

"Guns of the Old West" is still in production. I can't remember if it is quartely or bi-monthly, but it was on the news stand recently.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Platinum

Talking Re: Sass

I've been in it for years and love it. Just as soon as I get my hip fixed I hope to get back to it again (next summer). Prepare to dig deep in your wallet and keep on digging. You can never have enough Cowboy Action Stuff be it guns or garb. You can get as authentic as you care to. I even have gone so far as to have period correct Morgan silver dollars and whorehouse tokens in my vest pocket.

It's a hoot! You'll love it.

Dakota Doc Martin, SASS #21774

PS: If you get the Outdoor Channel you can watch Cowboys hosted by Tupelo Flash on Wednesday nights: http://www.outdoorchannel.com/Shows/Cowboys.aspx
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Platinum

Well I have a Cowboy Hat, Leather Duster and a Colt SAA 44-40. is that a good start?
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum

It is a start...barely! To shoot a match you will need one more revolver, a lever action rifle in a pistol caliber (such as 44-40), and either a double barrel shotgun (no ejectors) or a Winchester model 97. You will also need a gunbelt with 2 holsters and a way to carry all your gear around the range from stage to stage. Most of us have home made gun carts.

Here are some pics from the shoot at the Plesant Valley Rneegades range last Saturday.

Buck Rio, SASS #60154
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PV 10-10-Jose Gigante starts BR.jpg (136.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg PV 10-10-e.jpg (187.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg PV 10-10-b.jpg (105.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg PV 10-10-C2F & Buck Rio.jpg (174.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bleile View Post
Most of us have home made gun carts.
Some of us even get a bit carried away with making their gun carts. This is mine:

Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Platinum

it looks like that one guy has a 1911 in his belt, what kind of cowboy is that?
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDavid View Post

Early 20th century!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Platinum

Quote:
The original founders of SASS started out after watching the movie "The Wild Bunch". Hence, they named themselves The Wild Bunch. SASS has an official side match they call the Wild Bunch where you can shoot a 1911. The side matches have grown so much that Para-Ordnance is now making a special SASS Wild Bunch 1911.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Jose Gigante is shooting in the "Wild Bunch" catagory. This is relative to the movie of the same name. In that catagory you are allowed to use a 1911 but you have to chamber the first round on the clock. Also only one pistol so you have to reload on the clock. The Win. 97 is the only shotgun allowed in WB and the rifle is the same as other catagories but must be at least .40 cal.

In spite of the semi auto pistol no one can fire and reload a 1911 as fast as a person of the same skill with 2 single action revolvers, shooting each gun in turn using 2 hands (one to hold the grip and pull the trigger and the other hand to cock the hammer. The fastest cowboys can make a Colt single action sound like a gatling gun! You will notice that Jose has an electronic timer in his hand. It will time every shot and the whole string of shots. I have timed top shooters for the 5 rounds in their revolver and when you factor the speed of those 5 rounds, the best shooters actualy have a cyclic rate of fire equal to a submachinegun.

CRB
Old 07-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Platinum

I am going hopefully to a SASS shoot this Saturday, from what you guys are telling me and what I have been reading this sounds really Facinating and Awefully Expensive. I don't think I can afford this but I guess it's like buying your first Harley, you will never be able to afford one so just bite the bullet and get one and the expensis take care of themselves.

Doc your gun cart is really nice, looks like you've been doing this a long time

I noticed somewhere something callde Outlaw shooting, is this also part of this Society?
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Platinum

Quote:
I don't think I can afford this but I guess it's like buying your first Harley, you will never be able to afford one so just bite the bullet and get one and the expensis take care of themselves.

Doc your gun cart is really nice, looks like you've been doing this a long time

I noticed somewhere something callde Outlaw shooting, is this also part of this Society?
You can't look at the big picture when it comes to spending the $$$. Just chip away at it as you go. I started out with an Interarms Virginian Dragoon .44 Magnum (loaded down to .44 Special), a New Model Ruger Blackhawk in the same caliber, a Marlin 1894 carbine in .44 Magnum and I borrowed a shotgun. It was stuff I had and it got me started. But, as time went on I had to have the matched pair of Colt SAA's, a USFA SAA for backup, an American Derringer, a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited, a Browning 1885 High Wall BPCR in .45-70, a Shiloh 1874 Sharps in .45-90, custom leather by both San Pedro Saddlery and Purdy Gear, custom made clothing including a full length fringed leather coat made of elk hide, the custom boots, the Quigley hat I had Rich Rand of Rand's Custom Hats make me... the list is endless.

I don't think anyone can afford it if you look at the other end of the game. Get into it and ease on into the rest of it as time goes on. (And, don't ask your wife! )

I've had a lot of compliments on that cart. Even though I built it all by myself it still ended up costing me $600. Those hand made Amish wheels with the bearings ran it up some. I even used rusty hardware to make it look old. Some people have even asked me if it's an old authentic gun cart (probably never was such a thing).

The Outlaw Shooting is an offshoot of it's own much like Cowboy Fast Draw. You can check them out here: http://www.outlawshooters.com/

The newest shooting game that looks like a lot of fun are the Zoot Shooters. They dress up like gangsters and shoot 1911's and Tommy Guns! http://www.zootshooters.com/

There's no end to this dress up and shoot stuff. So, you may as well get started at it.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Platinum

My Lord, Doc you sound as crazy as me. I may have to look into that Zootsuit thing as well this sounds like a Real Hoot
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Mt Lord, Doc you sound as crazy as me.
Yep... I think my wife would agree. I am a bit off my rocker at times. But, hey... we only go around once. This isn't a rehearsal ya know. Cowboy Action Shooting is probably some of the most fun you'll ever have. Go for it!

Here's me standing along side Harper Creigh, alias Judge Roy Bean, SASS #1:

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Copper

Send a message via Yahoo to Micha Stahl

I shoot ruger vaqueros, a marlin cowboy rifle and a stoner sxs shotgun. Its an expensive sport but worth every red cent!

Marshal Cy Clone 37067
Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Platinum

KDavid,

You mentioned Outlaw and that is the catagory I've been shooting in for about the last year. In outlaw the pistols and shotgun must be shot from the hip. You can see me about to fire the shotgun that way in one of the pictures I posted.

RB
Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Platinum

Quote:
You mentioned Outlaw and that is the catagory I've been shooting in for about the last year.
I don't think that's an official SASS category though. It might be something your local club is doing on their own. There isn't such a category listed in the Shooters Handbook: http://sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASS...ok-16-2010.pdf

The Outlaw Shooters website does say this: "This is a Non-SASS category and we do not expect to see it listed at Mule Camp or EOT anytime in the near future, but if you are anywhere in the South you very well may see it listed as a shooting class."
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Platinum

You guys where leather armbands as well?? it will be like being back among the bikers again........ not that I ever strayed too far

I am reading the rule book........what is a John Wayne Lever...............the real cowboys didn't have this many rules, did they?
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum

Quote:
what is a John Wayne Lever
Those are the large looped levers. Like you used to see in the TV series The Rifleman. They may look nifty but they will slow up your shooting. That's not what you want to do. Fast and accurate shooting is the game.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Platinum

Sadly Dave ... that goes for drilling and tapping a hole in the front of the lever for a screw which you can dial in to push the trigger each time you close the finger lever. A nifty trick from the old Steve McQueen shows.

Hey Doc, that's gotta be the coolest cart I've ever seen. Awesome!!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Malouf View Post
Hey Doc, that's gotta be the coolest cart I've ever seen. Awesome!!
Thanks Chris! I certainly do appreciate the compliment.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Platinum

Doc,
Times sure change. I remember when you were a Mountain Man on the old Fur Traders chat back in the 90's before most of these fellers even knew what a computer was.

OldFox
Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKanger View Post
Doc,
Times sure change. I remember when you were a Mountain Man on the old Fur Traders chat back in the 90's before most of these fellers even knew what a computer was.

OldFox
Wow! That brings back a lot of good memories!

Yep, that's back before we had web browsers and such and we had to use IRC (Internet Relay Chat). It was Shoshone Woman (Darla Moore) and me that got that Black Powder Chat thing going. I still have the Coon 'n Crockett Muzzleloaders website going and I'm a Lifetime Member of the club. And, I still have my leathers and my smoke poles. I'll never get out of that stuff. But, I drifted off into Cowboy Action Shooting and then subverted a bunch of the muzzle loader guys to do the same thing. I even got one of the Canadian national champion shooters so interested in CAS that we got it started up north of the border. Then, I went up there and won their Red River Plains Range Wars for them in 2005.

I took a couple of nasty falls and just about died a couple of times so my health deteriorated quite a bit. I only made it to two shoots last summer. I can't shoot at all this summer. But, once I get my hip fixed (hopefully this winter) I fully intend on getting back into everything again.

I've been into jewelry making for about 35+ years and the hand engraving has always been on my "bucket list" of things to do. Too bad I didn't get started right away when I first bought J.B. Meek's book about 30+ years ago. I'd probably be good at it by now.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Steel

Default Re: Sass-K David

All these other Pards say it right, SASS is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I have been shooting it for 13 years and my wife joined me about 8 years ago to keep m,e out of trouble. We have shot in about 9 states over that time and about 5-6 every year. She shoots Ladies Silver Senior and is onlyu about 5 months away from Grand Dame (70 +) I shoot Eleder Statesman and have been the Alabama State Champion in that class for the past three years. I am 73. Check out my web site for som SASS pictures and info. www.twoponies.com or http:/www.twoponies.home.mindspring.com

I would suggerst you put that 44/40 in the safe and start using all .38 caliber guns. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run even if you have to buy two pistols and a rifle. The saving on ammo will pay for the guns in a hurry.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDocMartin View Post

The Outlaw Shooters website does say this: "This is a Non-SASS category and we do not expect to see it listed at Mule Camp or EOT anytime in the near future, but if you are anywhere in the South you very well may see it listed as a shooting class."[/B]
You will note that I live in Kentucky.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Platinum

Quote:
You will note that I live in Kentucky.
Yep! I know. I just didn't want to get folks figuring it's a SASS sanctioned match. It might become one some day though. Most of them started out as side matches or special interest groups and then got voted in later on.

We've had various stages where we'd at least shoot some of the guns in that style. I'm pretty good at shooting lever action rifle and shotgun from the hip. Most people will instinctively shoot way high to begin with.

It's fun to shoot any way you can actually.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Steel

Default Re: Outlaw

Our SASS club, The North Alabama Regulators, hosts the Alabama State Championship match the first week of October each year. We offered the Outlaw catagory last years and have plans to do it again this year. We have quite a group of shooters from Georgia that all like to meet at this shoot each year and many of them like to shoot Outlaw. We offer the same trophies to them as the others but do not allow them to take Top Cowboy or State Honors. I happen to be the Vice-President of this club and for the fourth out of five years I am making the trophies for this soot. We also have Spirit of the Game Award, to one person from each posse. See the pics for the 2010awards.
If ya'll get down this way stop in the Two Ponies Saloon for a drink on me. It's a shooting stage. The last picture is my wife Two Ponies Gal and I at End of Trail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAR 2010 Awards-Spirit of the Game.jpg (58.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg NAR 2010 Awards-Main Match.jpg (78.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg NAR-Saloon.jpg (86.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg EOT Dress-Cover Picture.jpg (104.5 KB, 23 views)