Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Platinum

Default Snake to love

My brother sent this...
What a specimen... Guess what was found just south of Jacksonville ..

Near the St. Augustine outlet, in a new KB homes subdivision.

15 foot Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake. Largest ever caught on record.

After seeing this, I did a little research, and learned the following:

One bite from a snake this large contains enough venom to kill over 40 full grown men.

The head alone is larger than the hand of a normal sized man.

This snake was probably alive when George H. W. Bush was President.

A bite from those fangs would equal being penetrated by two 1/4 inch screwdrivers.

A snake this size could easily swallow a 2 year-old child.

A snake this size has an approximately 5 and 1/2 foot accurate striking distance. (The distance for an average size Rattlesnake is about 2 feet)
Judging by the size of the snake, it is estimated to weigh over 170 pounds. How much do you weigh?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Snake to love

I Hate Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Steel

HI Jerry, what did they do with it? Is it in a zoo now or are they making boots out of it?

Simon.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Steel

We went to see Clash of the Titans this weekend, this snake could have been in that movie. Great special effects.I hope this is not some belated April Fools joke with Happy Photoshop Man. I wouldn't believe it except it looks like Florida. Years ago my dad drove combines down to Florida following the harvest. He used to tell stories about rattlesnakes that could stop a combine when they got in the header during harvest. Even though the combines were a lot smaller then, it would take an incredible snake to choke up the header. I sure would like to hear him tell those stories again.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Platinum

I guess they killed it, what a shame for one so old...
I have a 6 Ft skin my Father shot when we were quail hunting here in FL...
I don't know what they did with but I would love to have the skin...
Jerry
Old 04-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Platinum

That is one big snake and I can believe it was actually that big.
I killed one almost eight feet long in the everglades hunting years ago. Scared the beejeebees out of us. I also caught a coral snake 34" long near our home in central Palm Beach County and tried to make a hat band out of it, but somehow the skin got bleached in the tanning process....so much for novice trappers!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Copper

Default Re:Huge Copperhead in Central Indiana

15 years ago I kept hearing people say that they had seen a big snake on our creek near the road bridge. I had back surgery in 95 and I was in absolute misery. I walked down to the bridge about 1/4 mile from my house on our farm one morning to try to get some relief. I was leaning on the bridge railing looking down at the water when out from under the bridge swam a Copperhead that was 4 feet long. I had never seen a Copper Head that long nor that large. It was at least 3 or 4 inches in diameter and was floating on top of the water like a balloon. It was beautiful two tones of copper and brown. Sure was scary to know that I had swam in that water many a times as a boy. I have no idea how long a Copper Head will live but I have not seen it since however this spring, I saw a baby one about 18-24 inches long swimming out from under the bridge and it swam right up to where I was sitting on my golf cart and crawled up out of the water and disappeared under the bank in the exact same spot I had seen that Huge one disappear. I do know there is at least one Copperhead still here or two maybe. I do not know if that big one is still alive but no one has mentioned seeing it for since 95. There are not supposed to be any Copperheads in this part of Indiana though. ha. I have never seen a snake float on top of the water like that one did though. No part of it was under the water. The smaller one I saw this spring was partially submerged though but I could easily see its pattern to tell it was a CopperHead though.
Charlie Glackman
Old 04-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Platinum

I hate to burst your bubbles but its a fake.The snake actually was 7foot 3 inches.The pictures used a technique of optical illusion to deceive the eyes.