Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Gold

Default Long Time Lurker...

Greetings!

I have lurked on Steve's forum for nearly 10 years now and lusted over his tools all the while. I tinkered very, very briefly with a Gravermeister I purchased with an engraving lot in 07, but it just didn't inspire me much. Ended up selling all of the tools and equipment shortly thereafter to prepare for my wife's return to Graduate studies.

Since then I have tinkered with Hobo Nickels and bone carvings while using a Dremel and a variety of burs, almost exclusively. The work I have been doing has reached somewhat of a lull and I am looking at "leveling up" as a Artist I follow claims. I'd like to invest in a Palm Control and a variety of different templates, but having no real engraving experience, I am not certain what templates/geometries would be best suited for me.

I really appreciate the work that Tom Sterling does and envision myself doing similar styled of work. Phil Coggan's deep sculptured scroll is also very appealing as is the bulino of many. SO...I suspect in the end I may dabble in a variety of genres so to speak. I have some artisanal talent, but frankly I go to consider an order and kind of fall face first at the choices.

Fairly certain that this summer will find me ordering a starter setup and I will get to work carving some nickels and some practice plates. Most of which are fairly soft materials so I am curious as to what graver material would be most suitable? Would HSS do the trick for a beginner? Would it be possible to pin down a most common graver geometry for line work and where would one move from there?

Feel a bit daft as the more I read the more confused I get so I thought a question and introduction was in order. I will also post a few photos of work I have done over the years as well. Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, and greetings!

Lee Kinder
Artisan Attributes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corpus Callosum.jpg (98.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 86149603ae7527456fd8a8df0e45566f.jpg (81.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00047.jpg (91.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8095.jpg (162.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9819.jpg (94.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2016, 06:01 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Long Time Lurker...

A very impressive work , thanks for sharing
Old 06-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneC View Post
A very impressive work , thanks for sharing
Thank you GeneC
Old 05-16-2019, 12:54 AM
Copper

Wow, very nice work! Very impressed with the quality for being done with mostly a dremel and burs!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Platinum

Hi Lee,

I’d start off with sharpening templates for the Lindsay Universal (116 degree) and Detailing (96 degree) V gravers, and a flat. Add in different shapes as you gain experience and find a need.

Don’t forget a power hone...yes, you can just use stones but the power hone will save you loads of time.

Save up a few small worn out or broken burs to make sculpting punches from.

From the excellent skill and detail in your work, I’m assuming you have a microscope? Add a turntable to that.

Engraver’s vise?

Other than a 1/8 inch diameter carbide rod for a stippler, I’d stick to HSS gravers to start with. Practice on mild steel, and be certain to make lots of long cuts. With my students who like to cut Hobo nickels, I find they don’t get enough long-cut practice to develop good depth and width graver control. Cutting small, soft coins alone lets you get by with bad habits.

Move up to M-42 and Carbalt/carbide as you find the need.

Steve has lots of other great toys to add as you find needs for them. Remember, he who dies with the most toys, wins!

Best of luck!

Tom
Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Platinum

Lee, I would like to see more of your work, very impressive. With your artistic talent you should have no problem with design and detail. Using the tools you now have and adding a few that would help make it easier to convey your concepts into reality will be exciting. Steve makes extremely well designed tools that should last lifetimes. Don't get hung up on getting every tool available, you can get by with a few essentials and as you improve with that tool, you can add another if it will help you achieve your goal. Tools are just that, tools. It is the work you put into it that will make it yours. By push, power, or hammer, you will have to decide. Good sharpening templates for consistently, good quality gravers to sharpen, something to magnify, good lighting, something to hold your work solid. Patience and perseverance. Many a person has achieved fantastic work with meager tools, but that can also add to the frustration of accomplishment. Small successes will keep you wanting more. You already are successful in what you have accomplished. Keep up the good work. You are in the right place to find people who truly care about what they do. I am a 1 1/2 years in and this is the place I go to for inspiration and knowledge.
roger from Oz
Old 04-07-2023, 02:26 PM
Copper

Here’s a piece of Lee’s work. Carved for a charity auction. Still cherished.