Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,741. Welcome to our newest member, 3012Sd
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Gold

Default This is a drawing of the type of engraving I want to do

I hope the picture is there, I would like to do livestock,I know the picture isn't that good. I am drawing again, its been a along time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lamb I drew pen and ink.jpg (42.9 KB, 203 views)
Old 02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Platinum

Default Re: This is a drawing of the type of engraving I want to do

Looks like you're well on your way. You should at least be able to do the outline.

It's the shading that's the tricky bit. For that you'll have to wait for the guys who know bulino to give you advice. One bit I have picked up - try a pen & ink version. With pencil you can shade but smudging and blending. With pen & ink you have to do it via line control, just line in engraving.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Gold

well this is pen and ink, it may look different cause I had to use my phone to take the pic.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Platinum

If you can draw that well and see that much detail,go ahead and engrave it.
When you have completed the engraving post it and I am sure that everyone will be pleased to help you refine the finished piece.
Don't be intimidated over slips, mistakes,or the work itself.Put your mind to it and do it. Darn,I'm starting to sound like Dear Abby.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Platinum

Shadowran...Your drawing looks good..frontal views are probably the hardest to pull off. I would suggest you try profiles and 3/4 views...I tell students to go to a Museum of Natural History with pencils, pen & ink...there are plenty of animal subjects to be had...or get friendly with a taxidermidst. Keep us posted with your pictures. Keep up the good work.

JJ Roberts
www.jjrobertsengraver.com
Old 02-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Platinum

I think you're right - the slightly fuzzy cell phone pick induced some blending on the lines.

If you've got access to a scanner then scan this, mirror it (flip it horizontally), print it out on a laser printer and put the printout face down over some metal. Rub the back of the paper with a piece of paper towel wet with acetone. That will melt the binder in the toner and let it come off of the paper. Lift the paper off while it's still wet and the toner will dry onto the metal. A little shot of hair spray will help keep it there while you work. Just cut the main lines with a 'square' graver ('V' shaped, angle may or may not be 90) and do the finer lines / dots with a fine line V (a 70 seems popular).

If you don't have a scanner just make copies on a copy machine. The transfer will come out mirrored (the lamb will be looking to his right) but that shouldn't be too big a problem with this design.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Gold

thanks guys, right now I don't have a engraver I hope to be able to afford one someday, Steve sent me a hand engraver but all I got was frustration. I have been sitting here doing almost nothing for 8 months because of a motrcycle accedent (which was not my fault) T-Boned a guy who stopped in the road. so hopefuuly I get go to wrk again and I can afford to buy a Airgraver.

Thanks for the commnets
jim