Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Steel

Default New Knife Photographer

I have tried for years to take a decent photo of this Rod Olson folder. I was fortunate Mark Renz who is a photographer friend agreed to undertake this project even though he had never before tried to photograph engraving. I could not be more happy with the results. It my intention to have Mark document other items in my collection. Mark's website is displayed on the picture should you have any interest in his work. I have no interest in this other than to share a resource with friends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarkRenz_Webb_Lg_900_72ppi-1.jpg (66.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Copper

Default Re: New Knife Photographer

Thanks for the introduction! There is a lot of amazing work posted here and I'm glad to be able to see it. I plan on thumbing through the boards to check it out.

A bit about me: I'm located in Frisco, TX, which is about 30 minutes north of Dallas. I am a professional photographer, artist, and practicing architect (something needs to support my art & photography habits). I have recently started photographing knives which I've found to be quite a fun challenge.

If anyone is interested in getting photos of their work (or collection), I would love to talk with you. Just drop me a line.

I am working on a website dedicated to knives, engraving, etc and will hopefully have it posted shortly. When I have it up and running I will be sure to post a link on the boards.

For now I have posted a couple of images that may be of interest to some of you folks on my current website. It can be found at:

www.markrenz.com/knives

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Mark Renz
mark@markrenz.com
Old 11-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Platinum

Mark,

You are doing very nice work. Many people are unaware of how difficult it is to take high quality images of engraved guns and knives. I would offer one sugestion to include the name of the maker and engraver somewhere within the image, usually a corner.

Regards,

Roger
Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Copper

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the kind words. It sure can be a challenge to get the lighting correct with all of the angles and specular highlights that pop up during a shoot. But, it's what makes it a fun challenge.

Thanks for the suggestion about the knife maker and engraver names. That's something that I have seen in many other images and I will certainly look into adding the names of the folks into my images.

I see you are located in KY. We moved from Louisville to just outside of Dallas earlier this year. We were only in KY for a bit under 5 years but, really enjoyed our time there.

Thanks for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it.

Mark