Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Copper

Default Noob trying to figure out how to get started

Hi Everyone,

I'm a total noob to engraving trying to figure out how to get started. While I'm an engineer, I have dabbled in art all my life with most of my experience in drawing and airbrushing. I have been collecting fountain pens for decades and I recently started making my own with the intent to make them into little pieces of (engraved) art.

My first questions are about the equipment I need / should get. Should I start with a push hand graver to learn the feeling, or is it really worth getting an airgraver (used?). Is a ball swivel vise like the Dremel good enough for small parts (pen clips, caps) or should I really invest in a GRS ball vise? If so, what size? Are there any good places to look for used tools?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Edwin
Old 06-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Noob trying to figure out how to get started

its best to start with air tools like the Lindsay that I use, hand push engraving is the hardest style to attempt and will take 10 time longer to master than air. I use the Lindsay goliath ball vice as I find the grs to top heavy. it would be very hard to find Lindsay tools used because once someone starts using them they wont let them go, ive been using mine for over 10 years without any problems. hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Copper

Carl, thank you for your response. I spent the past weekend digging through this forum and others and I have decided to start with an air engraver. Since funding is not unlimited, I now have to figure out a good way to pick this up.

Another piece of advice I got was to take a class so I'm looking for my options there. I haven't found any in SoCal yet.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 AM
Steel

I was able to find a jewelers vice on amazon fairly inexpensively and for now using it for parctice plates seems to be doing the job well. I am a beginner as well and was able to take a class with carl which I highly recommend doing , have you joined FEGA? there are many resources for masters in your area possibly.
best wishes!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Copper

Mike, thank you for your feedback. I’ll definitely look into the FEGA for class options closer to home.

Regards,
Edwin