Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Steel

Send a message via Yahoo to dannymac4
Default New to the area

Hello fellow engravers! I just got signed up, i think this is a great tool to have available. Just wanted to introduce myself. I would love to try a PCH one of these days. I have been engraving for six months now and pretty much just do bright cuts and wiggle lines, but it is 8hrs a day 5 days a week. Any advice on what tools would be best to buy for that much work? And any idea where a guy can find used equipment?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New to the area

Welcome, Keep checking on the forums, sometimes engravers retire or stop and put their equipt up for sale...
You need to try the PC, you'll love it and the Lindsay sharping Sys...
Jerry
Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Steel

thanks for the info. I would really like to try a pc, but worried I would love it and then couldnt buy it.. do you think it would hold up to the amount of work i would use it for?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Platinum

Welcome to the fourm, for bright cut try Lindsays carbalt tool blanks also the Lindsay is a very tough tool, if you look on his tool site you will find a set up for under $800.oo Ive used it for bright cut, high relief to fine line.
Carl Bleile
southwest Ohio
Old 02-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Platinum

The Classic (with foot pedal) is cheaper than the Palm Control.

I'm not sure I've heard of anyone wearing out an AirGraver. Not sure what you could wear out. Maybe the piston but that's replaceable.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Steel

I know things are made to wear out for different reasons, I have had to send a grs handpiece to get worked on now for the second time. I like the idea on the Lindsay and using co2, sounds like less maintenence, Im just wondering how much co2 I would go thru. Do you think it would be more cost effective to stay with a silent compressor?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Platinum

HI,

Welcome to the Forum.

All Steve's tools carry a 3 year warrantee And a 45 day return policy if you are not happy with the tool.

Check out the Artisan, Great starting unit, or save a little more and get a Classic.

I use a 20lb Co2 Tank and a modified welding regulator. quiet and plenty of air. Any welding shop will fill it up.

You just cannot beat these tools for quality price and support.

Simply the best tools made.

Plus they are hand made..

AirAmp
Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Gold

I've been using the classic air graver with the foot peddle 40 to 50 hours a week, fifty weeks a year for the past eight years. And during that 20,000 hour run there has never been a second that I regretted buying this tool. So far the cost of the tool is about 6 cents an hour and every hour I run it the cost of the tool continues to go down.

So if you can find a used tool go ahead and buy it with the assurance that it will be worth the price.... if you can find one. I have only seen them available on a few rare occasions.

On the other hand, just go ahead and buy the classic with the foot pedal today. The money may seem like a lot now but in about eight years it'll seem like the best bargain you could ever have gotten.

Since I live and work most nights in a condo I have a silent compressor. If noise is not a problem go to home depot and get a decent sized compressor for a few bucks. But is the noise is a problem the silent compressor will be the expensive solution. It makes noise when running but its not loud at all. I got mine from Steve and the only problem is I got one with a small tank so it cycles a lot. But I've also taken it to work when the store air compressor had to be replaced and it ran the three Lindsay engraving tools we have there without any problems. However the CO2 setup does sound like a great way to get air silently.

Allan
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Steel

Thank you for all of your input, it's good to know what the pros are using, and it makes me, as an amature engraver, more comfortable about the desicion to purchase the right equiptment.