Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Platinum

Default R U a Cowboy Action Shooter?

Since I posted some pics of my 66 Uberti that I use at SASS shoots I got me t' thinkin' that there must be other SASS shooters here on the Engraving Forum and they probably shoot guns they engraved as I do. I know that Dakota Doc Martin is a SASS pard, how 'bout the rest of you. Show us a pic of you in your cowboy duds and some pics of your shootin' irons.

Here's a few from me:

Taken at Hooten Old Town near Mckey, Kentucky

Taken at Big Irons Rangers, home of Guns of August in Ohio

My Vaquero Bisley with light coverage and a brushed finish I call "Old Steel"
I'm shooting Colt SAA's now but haven't had time to engrave them yet.

Roger Bleile, alias Buck Rio SASS 60154
Old 05-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Platinum

Default Re: R U a Cowboy Action Shooter?

The ever-indulgent wife and I keep being tempted but all of the places to do it in the KC area are an hour or so away so we've managed to resist so far.

But I really want to pick up a single action six later this year to engrave and once I do I'll probably want to show it off to folks who'll appreciate it...

I hope I can do something as nice as your Vaquero.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Platinum

Steve,

The nearest club to me is an hour away but it is worth it. Cowboy Action Shooting is the most fun I have had with a gun in my hand (Vietnam being the least) and I have shot in nearly every thing you can think of. CAS is a very family friendly sport and about 20% of the competitors are women.

For those not familiar with the sport, here is a link to the Single Action Shooting Society which is the governing organization of the sport: http://www.sassnet.com/

Here is a link to a site called "Getting Started in Cowboy Action Shooting": http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

CAS is a shooting sport where engraved guns and accessories are used regularly. When I shoot I use engraved pistols, rifle, shotgun, Bowie knife, antique pocket watch, badge, and spurs. So there is lots of gear to use your engraving skills on.

ROger
Old 05-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Platinum

We will eventually get going on it - the ever-indulgent wife likes shooting, loves getting to shoot 'stuff', and likes the outfits so there's no way she'll let me have all that fun by myself.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Platinum

Talking Dakota Doc Martin and some of his stuff

Here are a few photos of me with some of my cowboy guns.

This one is me with Judge Roy Bean, SASS #1 (One of the 5 original guys that started SASS):

Here's a photo of me with my pair of nickel Colt SAA's, a special Stoeger shotgun I re-did to make it into an English straight stock (Stoeger started to do that when they saw mine), and my custom built Shiloh 1874 Sharps .45-90 with fancy everything and factory engraving:

By the way... that Wells Fargo strong box is one I made that goes on my gun cart:

Here's more of a close up showing the 14K gold stars I inlaid into the grips on my Colts:

Some engraving would look good on the Colts some day. I also have an American Derringer with Bar-S Tru Ivory grips that will look nice all scrollied up when I dare do it.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Platinum

Sweet gun cart Doc. They might even let you into an NCOWS match with those wooden wheels. Have you engraved any of your cowboy stuff yet? If you're not ready to start on a gun, get a cheap bowie knife with a brass butt cap and do that.

Buck
Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Platinum

Talking Knife

Roger,

Here's a knife I made several years ago that I'd like to decorate. The blade design isn't of the cowboy period but I like it. The guard, rivets, pins and the bolsters are of yellow brass. The scales are ivory micarta.

Now if I can think up a good design... :yesnod:

Old 05-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Platinum

Doc,

Designing scroll work for those small brass areas is going to be difficult. The scroll will be so small that your work will have little visual impact unless you hand it to someone and they look at it with a magnifying glass. For a few years I carried a 14 inch Bowie with stag grips made by A.G. Russell. It had plenty of brass to engrave and when I was done with it it looked great but it was too big. I looked all over the internet and with custom builders and couldn't find what I wanted. Finally, while I was in Branson, MO for the MO state shoot I found a smaller Bowie with plenty of brass to engrave. This thing will never win an award at the Blade show but it cost all of $27.00! Below is a picture. I just went down in the shop and shot it with my pocket camera but you will get the idea what it looks like. The sheath was made by Wayne Craig who does all of my cowboy leather. The sheath cost as much as the knife.

ROger

Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Platinum

Default Nice engraving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bleile
The sheath was made by Wayne Craig who does all of my cowboy leather. The sheath cost as much as the knife.
I'm waiting to get a package from Purdy Gear in the next week. She's making me a fancy rig that will be forever known as the Dakota Doc rig on her website. I made some conchos from Mexican 5 Peso silver coins (30 grams of 90% silver) and she's putting them on the belt and the three holsters. It should be a fine and dandy looking outfit.

I like the engraving on the bowie knife. I am partial to that scroll with punch dot background. Nice job! I'd like to do something like that on the guard and bolsters. Maybe flower rosettes on the large rivets. I think the pins are too small to do anything with them.

For those of you that haven't been around Cowboy Action Shooting you are missing out on the most fun you can possibly have. I used to ride a stick horse and shoot Mattell Fanners when I was a kid. Now I get to shoot real Colt Peacemakers. It's a hoot!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Nice engraving

But you didn't answer the most important question:

Are you still riding a stick horse?

:p

Just kidding. You guys are right in that it's a great sport. Even if you're not interested in the history aspect it's good old outdoor fun. If you're into personal protection the stages are good practice for that too.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Platinum

Doc,

A rig by Purdey Gear is as good as it gets. With those silver conchos you've got to have a "purdey" penny invested. Add some pics here when you get it. Regarding the punch dot background, I hate doing it but it looks right on this 19th century type of gear.

Steve,

You are right about the fun element. It is mostly about shooting 19th century style guns and having fun. A shooter can add as much historical elements to the costume as wanted but no one gets all wrapped around the axel if your shirt isn't hand sewn or there are too few buttons on your vest. I try to look the image of a late 19th century lawman. I have an antique pocket watch that I engraved on the back and so forth because I shoot in the classic cowboy catagory but my wife likes the B western (think Roy & Dale) look and dresses that way.

Your comment about practice for self defense is also correct. I usually carry a revolver so SASS turns out to be practice for defense for me.

ROger
Old 05-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Platinum

Talking Cowboy Action Shooting Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
But you didn't answer the most important question:

Are you still riding a stick horse?

:p

You never know what someone will come up with for us to do at a shoot. Part of the fun is you have to do things in a certain order or you get a Procedural (add 10 seconds to your time). You could be made to flip a flapjack before you engage a pistol target, carry the money bag with you to the shotgun stage, haul a saddle with you everywhere you go on the stage, etc.

And YES... we were all made to ride a huge stick horse one time. If I dig around enough I probably have photos of Judge Roy Bean and perhaps myself riding Ole Splinter. Yee haw! :whoo:
Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Platinum

Talking Defensive Shooting Practice

Quote:
Your comment about practice for self defense is also correct. I usually carry a revolver so SASS turns out to be practice for defense for me.

ROger
I agree. I'm an NRA Pistol Instructor, ND CWP Test Administrator, and UT CFP Firearms Instructor. Shooting the CAS stages really is great practice that can be used in the real world. I know I wouldn't want the average CAS shooter shootin' at me.

I normally carry a S&W 340PD with HiViz green front sight. At only 12 ounces... I consider it state of the art for concealed carry.

Another good shooting sport is IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Assn.) if you want mainly pistol shooting and don't want to dress up in costume to shoot.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Defensive Shooting Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDocMartin
I normally carry a S&W 340PD with HiViz green front sight. At only 12 ounces... I consider it state of the art for concealed carry.
A man after my own heart. I usually pack an S&W 386SC Mountain Lite. Seven shot .357 mag, HiViz sights, and only 18 ounces. The recoil is a little rough though. I started out in police work using a wheel gun in '64 and always shot well with them. I have had many automatics over the years and only had one that never jammed. I was issued an S&W model 39-2 in 1971 and fired thousands of rounds through it because I was a shooting instructor. Never a jam but the gun had been worked over by the dept. gunsmith before it was issued to me. If I carry an auto that is the one otherwise I have more confidence in a revolver.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Platinum

Glad to hear that traditions continue. If you have them you have to post those pictures.

IDPA is also good practice (heck, that's pretty much it's reason to exist) but it's not as 'fun' for most folks as cowboy action. And even if you're using something a bit more modern (usually an XD9SC for me) the situational awareness, target acquisition and backstop check parts are just as relevant.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Platinum

Talking Re: Defensive Shooting Practice

Quote:
If I carry an auto that is the one otherwise I have more confidence in a revolver.
I've never found anything that's as nice as the little S&W snubby made of scandium aluminum, and titanium. It's small, light, thin and easily disappears in a front pocket holster. But, it kicks like "heck"! I shot up a couple of boxes of .38's doing draw from cover drills at the range. Then, I figured I'd better try out some of the MagTech Guardian Gold .357 Magnums I had along with me. Two cylinders full (10 rounds) and my thumb web was split and I was bleeding. And, I have big hands connected to a fairly huge body. Even for me... it's brutal. But, it will do the job if ever called upon to do so. The nice thing about a double action revolver with a concealed hammer such as the 340PD is if you have a misfire... just pull the trigger again. You don't need two hands to to a tactical clear as you do with a semi-auto.

The big pistol you don't carry doesn't do any good at all. Rule #1 of the gun fight: Bring a Gun! :yesnod:

But, if I'm wearing a jacket or winter parka... my Sig-Sauer P220 (.45 ACP) is sweet. That's my all time favorite semi-auto pistol for sure. As Sig-Sauer advertises... "To Hell and Back Reliabilty". :yesnod:
Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Platinum

A friend of mine has one of those J frame scandiums and he had similar injuries to his hand with .357's. That's why I use the L frame Airlite for .357's. A little heavier, but still light, and more grip to hang on to. When I need more concealment I carry the model 442 J frame, which looks similar to Doc's 340PD but has an aluminum frame and weighs a few more ounces. It only shoots 38's. Below are a couple of pics. It is a little scratched up from carrying off and on for 15 years.

Roger

Old 05-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Platinum

Talking Smith & Wesson 340PD

Wow! I didn't know that the aluminum frames could be engraved like that. Nice!

I was just on the S&W site looking and the 340PD is now up to $1,051.00 MSRP. Luckily I got mine years ago for much less. About $600.00 as I recall.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Smith & Wesson 340PD

The ever-indulgent wife has a little AirWeight .22 that's so light that it stings with .22's. That's why when I got a .357 I got a nice, heavy Chief's Special. Still had to put some Pachmyer grips on it to be able to shoot more than about 20 rounds without my hand going numb.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Platinum

Talking Judge Roy Bean, SASS #1 on Ole Splinter

I dug around in the photo archives for the 2002 MN Bordertown Shootout and did find some photos of the Judge riding on a stick horse. Here you go:

Old 06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Platinum

Thanks for the pics of "The Judge". I ran into him manning the SASS booth by himself at the NRA convention a few weeks ago. A great guy!

Roger
Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Platinum

I'm still hoping to hear from some more SASS cowboys on this forum. I know that engraver Marty Rabeno is one. I just posted the following pictures on the main forum in a discussion of interlocking scrolls and thought I might as well add them here also. The pictures are of my 66 Uberti sporting rifle that I use as a back up to my 66 carbine and for long range lever action side matches.

Here is one of me using the shotgun at the Pleasant Valley range in Indiana a couple of weeks ago:

Even if you are not a cowboy action shooter, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Roger Bleile
Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Steel

HI Roger
I have followed this post with interest. First , I live in Indiana. Where is Pleasant Valley range located? Contact info ? Not really interested in becoming a CA shooter. More interested in the guns,knives, gear and photo ops.(photo's for reference). Do you know of any photo galleries CA related ? Thanks. rickw
Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Platinum

I wish I could find an SASS club here in south Florida, there may be one but I can't find any info on one.

If you hear of a club in Miami Fl, please send me a PM where I can get in touch with them.

It looks like a lot of fun, I watch it on the Outdoor channel on Wed. night, I call Wednesday night Shooting shows my "Shooting Soaps".
Since I can't bother my wife during her soaps everyday, this is my chance to watch what I want and she can't bother me during my soaps.

Anyway, if anyone hears of a club down here, please let me know.

If there isn't one, maybe I'll start one.

Thanks,
Tim C
Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Platinum

Rick: The pleasant Valley club is pretty far from you in southern Indiana. It is about 20 miles north of the Ohio river, West of Cincinnati and East of Louisville near a crossroads called Pleasant, Indiana. Here is a link to all of the SASS clubs in Indiana: http://www.sassnet.com/AClubs-IN-001A.php
As far as photo galleries, most of the clubs listed with a web site will have a photo gallery on their site. There are lots of photo ops at these shoots and I've never heard of one that charges admission to visitors.

Tim: Here is a link to all the clubs in Florida: http://www.sassnet.com/AClubs-FL-001A.php

Even though I live in Kentucky all of the closest clubs to me are in Ohio or Indiana. I have to travel about an hour and a quarter to get to the closest shoots but it is worth it.

Roger
Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Platinum

Hey Buck Rio,
I recently joined SASS. I haven't gotten any duds yet. But I do have a lot of horses and guns.
Badge no. 81681
alias: Mr. Natural

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Platinum

Welcome to the world of SASS and CAS Otto or I should say Mr. Natural! I remember when I joined just 4 years ago. I was somewhat self concious because my badge number is 60154 and now we are at over 81,000. That's a lot of cowboys and cowgirls.

Later this week I will be shooting at "The Guns of August" which is the Midwest regional with about 400 competitors. I hope to post a few pics next week.

Buck
Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Steel

Roger: It's been a long time between drinks but I do remember you and I don't think the forum appreciates the long experience that you have gather for so many years. I 'm an old timer that use to attend the fega when it was first started in la vegas some over 25 yrs ago. You were one of the original
people thatformed tha fega. I also had a copy of that book "the engraver " that you wrote and a fine one at that. the book was a classic proble one of the first into the insight of firearms engraving. and another thing I noticed was the fine work that was pictured in the book of your work. I often wondered what happen to you wnen you left the fega some said you went into security work but nobody was quiite sure or else they didn't know forsure
I'm in my twilight years now going on 90 and not in the best of health but still have the engraving in my bones. I'v been on several occasions going to introduce myself to the forum but thought maybe I'm over the hill. I'm still active in a small way as you see I'm on the what do you call this oh computer
you know once i get going i never shut up thats why i'm always in trouble
this is just to let you know that i consider you one of the pioneers of the firegrams emgraving history John
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Platinum

John88,

Thanks for the kind words and remembering my role in FEGA. For the record, I never left FEGA and have been a member since day one. However after a few years I was unable to maintain the level of active participation that I had when we started. Over all these years I never reduced my level of interest in engraving and though I didn't do many commissions I always kept my hand in it.

You are correct about me working in the security field. For 14 years I was Director of security for for a large hotel corporation and after that I worked as a security specialist for a large financial corporation. At the same time I was also active in the army national guard. I retired from the army five years ago and I retired from security work in January and now it's all engraving and cowboy shooting.

My best wishes go out to you as you are probably one of the most senior engravers extant. I would love for you to start a thread about your early days as an engraver and how things were in the pre-WWII era. You touched on this in an earlier post but I hope you will expand on your background.

God bless you and give you many more good years,

Roger Bleile
Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Steel

Roger: I made a reply the other day but i don't think it went thru for I forgot to sign in. I just remember the fine book you did some few years back. "
: the engraver" it probly was one of the first engravering profiles of the current engravers at the time around 20 years ago. I attended quite a few of the of the fega meetings first in las vegan and much later in reno. I often ask about your wherebouts but never got a straight answer. I often wondered why you never showed up for the annual meetings I found out later you hadtakeen position in security.you certainly was a pioneer and alxo a fine firearms engraver of what i seen some of your work in the engraver. I've been around for some time i no longer engrave sold all my tools avbout five yearsago, had to quit and take care of my dear wife I''m close of my birthday in in january and will be 90 one of these days i'll try typeing in a thread but I'm over the hill now but still enjoy the forum. so many changes and new tricks to the trade have observed some fine engravers samples just thought I'd drop a line John
Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Platinum

Here are a few pics from the Guns of August Midwest regional match held in Middletown, Ohio last week. We had 337 competitors from all over the US and Canada.

I have found it very difficult to get any decent photos of a shooter on the firing line since he or she is always surrounded by the timer operator and three hit spotters not to mention the fact that we are shooting through windows and doorways most of the time. Add to that the safety issue of staying behind the firing line and all I get most of the time is pictures of the shooter's backside. Any suggestions on how to work around these obstacles would be appreciated.

This first picture is of the color guard at the opening ceremonies.

Pecos Pete on the left, my shooting buddy, Vance Montana and me on the gallows platform.

That's me shooting my '66 carbine (shown in an earlier post) from the gallows with "Longeye" spotting.

End of stage 12 and the match. I managed to shoot all 12 stages without a miss. I should look happier but I was relieved.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Platinum

There are only two or three good ways to get firing line shots.

One is to stage the shot - absolutley assured that the weapon is unloaded so you can be downrange.

Two is to use a long lens - that lets you be downrange and off to the side far enough to be safe. These shots still need to be staged at least in part because you need to make sure you're far enough out of the line of fire.

Three is to use a 'remote' camera of some sort. Those you can put as close to the line of fire as you trust the shooter.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Platinum

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. Staged shots always seem to look that way and you don't get the gunsmoke or fire. I've never been at a range where there was a downrange vantage point to use a long lens. The remote camera has some possibilities. At Guns of August there was a guy making a video for the club. He had the camera on a long aluminum pole (similar to a monopod) and a monitor with controls at the bottom of the pole. He would then take the video from the side of the firing line. Of course in some cases the props were obscuring the guns sticking out of windows and doors but the high vantage point allowed him to get the shooter in frame without being covered by the spotters.

RB
Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Platinum

Roger

If the shooter is shooting black powder you can do a safe staged 'shot' but the problem with doing any staged shots is finding the time and place - you need a controlled environment for them and I'm doubtful that there's enough time at a meet to do one.

You know, another trick you could use would be a full-length mirror positioned downrange. Be a bear to get it set up - need someone in the firing position, someone in the (photography) shooting position, and someone adjusting the mirror but once set you could safely get pictures of all of the shooters. Need to flip the 'negatives' of course so they don't all wind up left-handed but it should let you get some good shots.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 08-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Copper

Roger
Do most of you reload for your matches and if so do you cast your own bullets and what is the powder of choice, black or smokeless alot of the guys here that shoot that seem to like black.
I don't shoot the matches but I have some friends that do and from what I have seen a good time is had by all and the 45l.c. seems to be the #1 choice.
Bob
Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Platinum

Bob,

Your name sounds familiar to me. Are you an engraver?

To answer your questions I'll take them in order.
* A large percentage of CAS shooters reload their own rifle/pistol ammo due to the expense. Consider that at a monthly match where I shoot six stages I will burn through 120 rounds of .45 Colt. Factory cowboy loads (which are a little cheaper than defensive ammo) will cost between $25-30. per box of 50. So you could be spending &75.-90. per match plus $10.-15. for shotgun ammo plus $10.-20. entry fee you are up to as much as $125. just for a monthly club match plus the gas to get there. Most shooters around here have to travel at least 50 miles to get to a match. I travel as much as 100 in my case. So for most of us reloading is a necessity. In my case, I have a shooting buddy who has traded reloads for engraving

* Not too many shooters that I know cast their own bullets due to the health hazards but for those who do they reduce their costs even more.

*The largest percentage of shooters shoot smokeless. It is cheaper than black and the main thing is the easier clean up. There is also the issue of being able to see the targets through the black powder smoke. That is why black powder shooters are in different classes from smokeless shooters. They shoot in the "frontier cartridge" and "frontiersman (cap & ball) classes. I would say 80% to 90% shoot smokeless.

*There are lots of us that shoot .45's but most serious competitors shoot .38's due to less recoil and cheaper reloading. In the "classic cowboy" class we must shoot at least .40 cal. Basically that's 38/40, 44/40, .44 special, .44 Russian, .45 Schofield, or 45 Colt.

*You are right about "a good time was had by all." It is the most fun I have ever had with a gun and I have pretty much done it all form plinking to warfighting, from sporting clays to high power. It is the most friendly atmosphere imagnable and the one shooting sport that has a high percentage of female competitors. My wife hasn't shot in the matches but dresses up and goes with me as well as enjoying the costumed banquets at the big matches.

Here is a picture from the Guns of August banquet last Saturday showing my friend, Vance Montana, his wife, my wife Cassi, and me.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Copper

Roger
I cosider myself a wanna be engraver. I tried and practiced with a hammer and chisel in the early 70's but did not really have the time to persue it until I retired in 03 and at time I bought some tools from an estate in 06 from the daughter of a retired gunsmith who took up engraving. Gravermiester, power hone laps,Magna vise more tools for engraving than I ever knew existed for engraving and was planning on taking some classes and I promised myself that
I would not put a chisel to a gun until I felt ready and that I could do a decent job of it, but it seems like everytime I plan on going to a class or to
Reno something comes up.
I grew up with a revoler in my hand My dad was retired from the army and was a gunsmith. Shooting pistol and benchrest (rifle) and I also like to mess with some of the wildcat cart.
I grew up in rural N.M. and hunted and trapped all then time I was in school.
for spending money. My favorite revolver cart.Are 44spl,44r,and the 38-40
for my carry gun I usally carry a 45 Commander and sometimes a chiefs special
I'm getting ready to begin on a pistol I have 2 that i feel like I can do and if they don't turn well it won't bother me to strip them and take a torch to them
I don't have very much in either one

Bob
l
Old 10-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Steel

Quote:
A man after my own heart. I usually pack an S&W 386SC Mountain Lite. Seven shot .357 mag, HiViz sights, and only 18 ounces. The recoil is a little rough though. I started out in police work using a wheel gun in '64 and always shot well with them. I have had many automatics over the years and only had one that never jammed. I was issued an S&W model 39-2 in 1971 and fired thousands of rounds through it because I was a shooting instructor. Never a jam but the gun had been worked over by the dept. gunsmith before it was issued to me. If I carry an auto that is the one otherwise I have more confidence in a revolver.
I used to carry a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 spl, 19 oz. Small of the back

For an auto I carried a Browning 1900 in .32 acp. Coat pocket

Those were the days.

In answer to the forum question yes I do shoot CAS (Black Powder Duelist)here in NZ but havent had much time over the last few months. Summer on its way and I will get to a few more shoots.

Chris
Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Platinum

Chris,

Welcome to another cowboy shooter on the forum. I have always wondered about SASS in NZ. I was under the impression that people couldn't own cartridge firing handguns there. Also were you a constable when you carried the Bulldog and Colt pocket model? I also thought you didn't have concealed carry in NZ but that is just an assumption.

CRB
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 AM
Steel

Quote:
Chris,

Welcome to another cowboy shooter on the forum. I have always wondered about SASS in NZ. I was under the impression that people couldn't own cartridge firing handguns there. Also were you a constable when you carried the Bulldog and Colt pocket model? I also thought you didn't have concealed carry in NZ but that is just an assumption.

CRB
Sass is alive and well here in NZ.

200-400 shooters here and a anual competition against Australia every year.

Couple of years ago one of our shooters came 3rd at Trails End at the founders ranch in the USA. Payden Cash.

As to cartridge firing handguns there is about 3000 pistol shooters here in NZ. Just requires a different licence and membership of a pistol club.

Firearms ownership here is very lax. We can own any number of rifles and shotguns on our standard hunting licence, including a multi barreled single shot hand operated rifle (aka Gatling gun) on a hunting licence.

Silencers and suppressed weapons arre common and anyone can buy a silencer without a licence. Any one who spends $200NZ on a collectors licence can own fully operating machine guns and mortars (we just cant shoot them, legally). Couple of my friends have a 20mm Olerkon anti aircraft cannon in working order. One day!!!!

As to my carry of the Bulldog and the Browning 1900. I carried these as my personal CCW weapons while in the army in the UK and always when I went on holiday in France (lots of carjackings of British cars). My army unit required we were armed at all times even when in civvies. Got hurt in training exercise and dropped from the unit, then lost all my poistols in the UK ban in 1996.

Thanks for the welcome.

Joined this site as I am rebuilding a Swedish Remington Rolling Block action of 1874 into a long range rifle. Have had it barrelled with a Badger 34" full octagonal in 45-70. I,ve just finished the woodwork. American Walnut grade 2 with a check piece. Has taken me 8 months of sanding and the past 2 months finishing it with a "London Finish".

Now I need to finish the metal work. Its still in the white. thinking of browning it. I would like to learn hoiw to engrave so that I can decorate the metal work. I would love to be able to do a gold and silver inlay in the metal. Sort of complementing the browning.

I have been looking at the laurel Mountain Browning fluid but I destroyed my credit card in a budgetary decision.

Chris
Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Platinum

Chris,

How are those Swedish military Remingtons? Did you order one from Gunbroker or locally in your country?

I know there is a large lot on consignment with Buffalo Arms. Co. They run about $700 USD. Been thinking on getting one. A rechamber with nice wood and engraving is nice investment.

Many thanks ...

Chris
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVEngraver
Chris,

How are those Swedish military Remingtons? Did you order one from Gunbroker or locally in your country?

I know there is a large lot on consignment with Buffalo Arms. Co. They run about $700 USD. Been thinking on getting one. A rechamber with nice wood and engraving is nice investment.

Many thanks ...

Chris
I got my Remington Rolling Block here in NZ. We seem to have a lot of old rifles in this country. I recently purchased an original Civil War Ballard carbine in .56 rimfire that was brought to new Zealand in 1870 by the US soldier who carried it during said war. No way in perfect condition but I have its history and that means more to me

RRB action shows its age. No finish left and a few scratches but nechanically it is sound. Trigger acction is light and crisp.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Platinum

I took some pictures on Saturday 4/4/09 at the midwest regional black powder championship known as "Smoke in the Woods." It was held at the Big Irons Rangers club in Middletown, Ohio.

The cowboy shooting season is back in full swing here in my region.

Roger Bleile, alias Buck Rio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Balding Ranger SITW 09.jpg (129.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 2 Bit Drifter SITW 09.jpg (184.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg RLR SITW 09.jpg (102.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg VM 1 SITW 09.jpg (128.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Wilbur SITW 09.jpg (111.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Platinum

Nice shots Roger!

Gee, I wonder how they came up with the event's name?

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 04-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Platinum

Hey Roger, are you bringin' yer gear to the engrave-in?

I might bring my Shiloh 50-90 and leave the Harley at home.

----

Per my previous post in this thread ... got a nice old Remington action for short money on GB. Another project for a million rainy days
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Platinum

I wasn't planning to bring any of my SASS stuff but there are a couple of Scott's friends there who bring fast draw rigs and a timer which is lots of fun.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Copper

Roger,

I've been meaning to ask the same question myself. I noticed that in one of your posts you mentioned that you were a Cowboy Action Shooter.

I've been eyeing all that space on my 1866 Uberti, but don't have the nerve yet to tackle it. I am working on my shotgun though and hope to post some pictures when it is done.

John Saville, AKA Cobia Kid
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Platinum

Kid,

The 66's are a lot of work if you plan a full coverage job. If you just do the sideplates like I did on my 66 rifle (page 3 of this thread) it's not so much. I usually shoot my 66 carbine in main matches. I engraved it a few years ago when I got into CAS. It is close to full coverage. I spent 73 hours on it from design to reassembly. Some pictures of it for you below.

Buck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66 right b.jpg (150.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 66 carb left b.jpg (151.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Platinum

That looks great Roger!

I like the rather open scroll style - it just seems to suit the gun really well.

I really like useful objects that are embellished in such a way they can still be used. While you wouldn't want to toss something this nice in the bed of the truck, you also don't worry that taking it a match and actually shooting it will ruin the engraving.

I think you hit that balance point dead-on on this one.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Platinum

Hi Roger,
The leather you have on the lever looks like a coil of leather washers. They are usually available in Amish communities, but maybe elsewhere too.
Does the leather make it easier on the fingers when rapid firing?
Just curious.
gail