Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Platinum

Default Tungsten Piston WOW!!!

Steve sent me the Tungsten (Hammer) Piston, and let me tell you if you don't have one you better get one if you want to remove background...
What an animal, it should have a name...
I tried one at Ray Cover School and didn't think I would need one...
Live and learn..
I should have had Steve put the Tungsten (Hammer) in with the original order..
Thanks Steve...
Thanks Ray...

JL Seymour
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Steel

Default Re: Tungsten Piston WOW!!!

Now why couldn't you have posted this about three hours ago. I just sent a check (went out at about 3:30 local) for my new Airgraver and didn't order the tungsten piston. Live and learn is right!

Sounds like a new contest maybe? Name the Piston?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Platinum

I have the Tungsten and like it a lot, both for my palm control, and my Artisan. Its a great compliment to both tools.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Gold

I've had a TC piston for about a year. It's a "must have" because it expands the power range of both the Classic and Artisan.

Roger
Old 08-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Gold

Question: In my quest for finer shading, I have my Palmcontrol running at about 8 PSI with the stroke at its shortest, using the standard stainless piston. I understand the pistons can be swapped out with ease, but I prefer to leave it in there more often than not. If I replace the stainless with the tungsten piston, does this limit the fineness of the work you can do?

I understand that the tungsten is designed to hog metal, but can it cut fine as well?

I remember also someone had Steve L. make up a delrin plastic piston for even finer work. Now that is something I can make for myself if I ever feel the need to do so, but tungsten is a whole 'nother ball game.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:07 PM

The Tungsten piston used at the same settings as the stainless version will cut deeper and hit harder regardless due to its weight and density. It just naturally follows that this will happen and it is mainly for the heavier cutting.

The tungsten allows more customization of the strokes/PSI combinations and the resultant results as a result of the resultant manipulation of said controls and parameters and thus the results seen at the surface of the metal under the patented Lindsay point.

It is possible to lets say, keep a high impact speed (short stroke) with a tungsten but cut just as deep as you did with the stainless using a longer stroke. There's a for instance for you in case you like the control that provides. Lots of possibilities and too complicated for my hillbilly mind to articulate here; I type sloooow.

If you want finer shading than the stainless at low PSI and stroke you'll have to get the delrin or whatever that light one is or just push without air the old timey way