Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Copper

Default Carbide vs. Carbalt

Has anyone done a side by side comparison between Carbide and Carbalt?
I'd like to know before spending the money.
Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Carbide vs. Carbalt

About $3.00 to $4.00 buck's. Sorry but couldn't help myself.:smilie5:
Actually like both but can't say I have done enough tuff metal to give an honest opinion.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Platinum

Hi Paul,

We have been using the Carbalt for about 7 years now, hard to beleive it has been that long...

The major difference between the two (other than dollars) is that carbide tends to break and chip while cutting curves, and Carbalt is much less prone to do so. This applies to steel, and other harder/tough metals like titanium.

Softer metals like pewter, copper, red brass, and most precious metals can be cut fine with carbide or Carbalt. The exception would some of the 10K alloys used in class rings. That can be hard stuff!

Neither carbide nor Carbalt lend themselves well to flat or bright cut gravers. The corners are just too delicate. For those we use one of the HS alloy blanks.

Brian P. Marshall
B. P. Marshall Studios
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM

Just my two cents worth. Carbalt if I'm not mistaken is a mixture that Steve came up with that is mostly carbide and a certain amount of cobalt mixed in to toughen it up and reduce the brittleness that is inherent in a plain carbide blank.

I recently cut a Glock slide with one. Yeah, yeah, I know; I'm a knucklehead for doing it. Glock slides are made of tool steel then case hardened with a proprietary process called "Tennifer" which leaves it at a Rockwell of 67-68 which is dang near diamond hard.

I cut a raven and a Latin phrase on it with a carbalt graver with a 50 degree face and it did the job but I never will do it again! That stuff is harder than the third grade on Mike Tyson...
Old 02-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Platinum

Paul . in the last 37 years that I have been engraving I have tried them all , GRS other retailers and Steve Lindsay's and I have found out that the Lindsay carbide/carbolt hold up the best, out of them all also one that is even better is Steves m42 I can cut all day with out sharpening , now for your info I engrave mostly colt fire arms and at time a few knives with ti. bolsters , here is where Steve's carbide/carbolt out shine them all . I do hope this helps .. ron p
Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Gold

Paul,
I've tried carbide and carbalt side by side. The carbalt seems to take a edge better and I can get it much sharper than the other vendors carbides. I haven't any problem with chipping with the carbalt. Right now I am doing all my work with carbalt. I sharpen the gravers with a 3000 diamond lap.

Roger
Old 02-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Platinum

I find carbide best for bright cut pattern cutting on platinum jewelry. Other metals seem to bond with the platinum in a cold welding reaction during cutting and leave a less shinny cut. This is only pertinent with platinum though. Carbalt beats the heck out of carbide with all other metals though. It seems to be just as hard but much tougher. I learned this on the fega forum from a tip by Scott Pilkington several years ago.
Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

This make's me want to be in the USA.
Everything available.
I can get cobalt of carbide graver's, but nowbody has heard of carbalt gravers overhere!

Blast,,, I should prepare a holyday somewhere close to engravers in the usa.
Learning to much!

Thank's,

Daniel
Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Steel

Hay Daniel,
I'll join you when you go.
Interesting reading off The Linsay engraver and his gravers, good luck with your order i'll will see it.

Noud Peters