Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Copper

Default Introduction

Hi, another hand engraving noob here. I've been doing work with a laser engraver in glass, wood, and other organics and am now ready to start learning proper engraving. My working background started as an avionics tech in the Corps, then progressed into automated assembly equipment. I then moved into network technology after noticing that out of all my other mechanically employed friends, I was the only one with all my fingers intact! Now after 15 years playing with computers and regularly seeing hours (if not more) of effort wiped away with the pop of a fuse, or an untrained user's command, I'm feeling the need to spend my time more wisely.
so with that, I'd like to say:
Hi, my name's Vince
(hi Vince)
I've been a laser engraver for about 7 years now, but with the help of you all I hope to cast off my machine dependence and become a proper hand engraver.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Introduction

Hi Vince ;-)
Old 02-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Platinum

Hi Vince! :waving:

Been being paid for messing with computers for 30 years now. I long ago noticed that when you spend all day doing things that produce no tangible result that there's a strong pressure to do something that you can point to later.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Platinum

Welcome, learning to creat work through hand engraving is very rewarding and will last a long time. Once you start it's hard to quit.
Carl Bleile
southwest, Ohio
Old 03-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Copper

after reading the thread about "Mr. Olin ", I though I'd better clearify that my laser system only works on wood, glass, plastic, etc.... not metal! don't want to be burned at the stake or anything!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Platinum

Vince,

Don't worry about it. I don't think anybody has anything against laser etching as long as it is not advertised as engraving the way some gun companies do to make buyers think they are getting a hand engraved piece. The laser has it's place in production and volume work and is here to stay.

My problem is with Olin's assertion that hand engraving can only be done with a hammer and chisel. Since I can engrave with a hand pushed burin, I could say that he is not a hand engraver because he needs a hammer to engrave but of course that would be bunk as well. There are all kinds of engraving and each has its place in the sceme of things.

CRB
Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Copper

Hello and thank you for the welcome. I feel as though i've joined a crafters guild and imust say the response by yours truly (Steve L.) was certainly appreciated. Thanks again Steve, Im looking forward to getting started. The threads and videos are great and i hope everyone keeps sending them in. I'm trying my best to learn and you guys are my teachers. Keep those cameras rolling! Thanks Again, Larry Tatum (Goose)
Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Copper

Hello All,
I have been interested in engraving for some time now. I have a long art background, and I have worked with most common materials: glass, steel, copper, wood, stone (love stone). I am now trying to get into engraving, my wife said I have too many hobbies as it is, but I didn't hear all of it.
I work for the State of Arkansas as a GIS Analyst for the Oil and Gas commission. GIS stands for Geographic Information Systems, I map all of the wells, and transmission lines in the State.
The amount of talent and skill on this site is amazing!!!! Keep up the great work, it is true inspiration to a newbie. Hopefully with some time and money I will be joining you in your efforts.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Copper

Thanks Roger (& all others) for the welcome.
from all I read here, I wasn't really too worried, I just didn't want to be taken wrongly as a godless heathen. I don't feel that laser has any place on firearms or other 'fine objects' at all (personal opinion, ymmv ) it's the human touch that creates the element of beauty in all artistic mediums. technology can never produce art (or really even properly reproduce it), only the poor imitation of it.
that said, what I do like about the laser is the ability to cut and contour materials that would not stand up to a physical tool. I've inlaid contrasting papers into one another, creating a knot work pattern that I know I could not have done any other way. made 1/32" square dovetail joints in 1/32" and 1/64" micro-ply for cigarette boxes and gum cases. or a scale model of the wright brother's biplane with a 5" wingspan made of paper. but I've never seen anything made with a laser that I would consider artistic, just a clever use of the laser process.
the true art displayed here is in a class of it's own. to be able to render scenes with the depth and realism shown on this site with simply a graver is the hight of artistic and craft ability. there are those who would try to equate the effect achieved by laser with that ability, I just wanted you all to know I'm not among them.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Steel

Hi V..