View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Platinum

Default Re: R U a Cowboy Action Shooter?

Revolvers with short barrels are plenty accurate enough for SASS purposes. Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) is not a game of precision accuracy. It is a game of speed and efficient gun handling. All targets are steel. It is either hit or miss. A miss costs you 5 seconds added to your time. Steel pistol targets are usually from 6 to 20 feet in front of the shooter. Hitting them is easy. Hitting them faster than the other shooters is not so easy.

I was on a possee a few times with an old gent who had received a heart transplant and moved around the range in a motorized wheelchair. He wore two single action revolvers with short barrels in a double sholder holster rig. He didn't win any matches (and for that matter I rarely do either) but he had a good time among friendly people who were glad to see him doing what he loved. He has since passed on but he stays in my memory as a man who lived the cowboy spirit and could not be held down by life's travails.