View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 12:44 PM
Steel

Default Angle the graver while cutting and depth of cut

Hi Steve, thanks for constructing such an excellent instrument! When I first connected the classic palm control to my silent air compressor I could feel it passively idling in my hand -it reminded me of my Harley! It truly is a one of a kind amazingly constructed and engineered piece of equipment. The tiny engraving that you did on it keeps giving me inspiration.

My question is: When I watch you use the universal patented tip I notice that you slightly angle the graver to the left (even when making straight cuts). Is this the best way to cut with this graver or were you trying to get a different effect?

Second question: I understand that maintaining a constant depth of cut is a balance as you said like riding a bike.. so I understand the importance of uniform depth when cutting (unless a specific effect is desired) . However, as a new engraver, I am unsure how deep I should be engraving? My wife used to do some hand-engraving and she commented that my engraving appeared quite “deep”. To elaborate, when you guys are engraving lettering is it just barely scratching the surface? Or should there be an ideal depth of cut I am trying to achieve? If my initial cuts are too shallow, will the piece turn out ok if I go over the cut multiple times to increase the depth?

Thanks in advance! Ed