View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Default Re: pearl raised gold knife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Steve I keep coming back to this gold overlay. I just have to try it. The process that is; I'll try something very simple.
I think I understand the steps of the process you use. The one thing that is a bit foggy is where the overlay meets the base. After you've inlayed the gold what kind of tool (graver) do you use to clean up that meeting of the gold and , in your case, the stainless?
My plan is to make a pin (brooch) as in jewelry with 24K and 14 K Palladium white gold.
cassie
Hi Cassie, I used a 90 degree bulino type point without a heel to clean up deep along the edges of the gold. First transfer the original ink-print outline to the gold, cut the outline and now clean up the edges of the gold by chipping/scraping by hand with the side of the bulino graver until you are up to the outline cuts. The 70 degree bulino point would also be good for this or Carl's deep line graver that is narrower yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
"After the gold is in and the top of it is sanded I transfer the ink print outlines back on top of the gold and cut it... "
Do you have some sort of registration marks to align the transfer?
Thanks again.
cassie
near the Sangre de Christo mtns (northern NM) where the snow runoff is filling the acequeias
No not really, it is a bit of guessing where the original outlines where. There usually are places in the design that will help give you a pretty close guess. You know you want to make sure the ink-print outlines is at least on the gold, so if their parts of the design hanging off you know that isn't the right spot.
EngravingArtist.com