View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default Re: pearl raised gold knife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Malouf View Post

Because the gold is raised .... did you have any concerns about wear? Is this 24K or 22K?

Chris

I tell the collectors that purchase the work that it if they want to keep the engraving looking like like new and unscratched then don't touch it.
The gold is 24k and soft. This wouldn't be the knife keep in your pocket with loose change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Carter View Post
Steve - Thank you for showing and sharing this wonderful knife and technique. My question about it is how did you make the impression or outline of the inlay pockets in order to reposition and transfer them to the gold after inlay in order to recut the outlines. Also did you cut several pieces for the inlay or were they sawn out and inlaid as one piece. Thanks Fred
Hi Fred, I made a bunch of inkprints of the outline off the stainless right after cutting the outline and before cutting away pockets. These were used to transfer to the gold after it was inlayed in order to then cut the outline on top of the gold and to begin shaping it. The gold was sawn from one sheet... at least the parts that could be done that way were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Beautiful work. Am I correct in assuming you used 24k? And if you did how did you get the gold to that color?
cassie
Hi Cassie, Yes it is 24k. The black and gray shading is from flat black paint in the background and ink in the upper area of the gold as well as shading cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlseymour View Post
Are you from this planet or what solar system did you come from?
Jerry
If you ask Karla this I'll bet she would have fun with answers. Next time we talk on the phone I'll put Karla on.
EngravingArtist.com