View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Arctic Exploration

Thanks Peter.
Dan, In the Lockplate pic that is all the layout I have at that stage.
The procedure was as follows: I took the drawing, reduced it on the photocopier to the size of the lockplate, and transfered it on. That was mainly to locate the scene. I then erased the transfered scroll with acetone on a qtip and redrew the scroll lines. This keeps me from doing anything too stupid. I then freehand the leaves as I cut.
How much layout I use depends on the style of the scroll, and the shape of the leaves, this style I know well enough I dont have to fill in much, as I can see it in my mind as I cut.
I look at my drawing and count how many leaves are in a certain area of the scroll, and put in that many. There are really only three kinds of leaf elements I am using here, so I put them together in my mind to fill the space.
Some people might view this as risky, but I have found as long as I am familiar with the style of scroll I am using, it allows more creativity than slavishly following a transfered layout.