Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Platinum

Default Re: thoughts

the photos of the fowler and SXS are all English made By Moore . Larson and Manton .
the date to the golden age of the SXS so they are late 1770 -1790
now none of these are castings but actual engravings , the castings are the lock plates shown in Black and white . the casting compression is of the plates themselves . I had a couple other photos i though i put up , i guess i messed those up .
now here are some more examples from Mr. Lindsay’s documentation

this is a bribe piece built by LaPage and commissioned by the French government for Abd el Kadir before his capture in 1847 . the side plat and pommel i believe to be castings

these are shown as Schwindels work don in about 1715

in comparission and at about the same date as the SXS i posted this morninf is this volley gun done approx 1795
inscribed Dupe&Co,, Perdition to Conspirators , Glen Frost 1793. whit this alone I'll defend Robro Camp 1795

compaired to this work done in 1814 for ptince osten-Sachen the barrels are signed leopold Bernardo and the precussion locks signed Zaoue

I believe that the larger parts of this peice are castings and not the actual engravings

that brings us to these to fine exsamples of
#1 Henry rifle dated 1860
#2 a Winchester model 66" gold plated " dated 1872

again these all “ this post “ come from Merrill Lindsay’s book : An Illustrated history of firearms . we must give credit where credit is do , for the fine documentation