View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Steel

Deland,

The time savings is going to vary from person to person. For me I can cut a line with an airgraver in about 25% - 30% of the time I can push the same line.

The time savings is not the only thing you need to consider.

Fewer mistakes is a big one. As you know, with a push graver you are always on egg shells because when that point gives way you have to get the thing up to keep it from scooting across your work leaving a nice trail scare along the way. With an airgraver the amount of push you are applying is minimal. When a point breaks the tool just starts acting dull. It is not nearly as likely to scoot and scare because you are not having to control applied force from your arm. The mini impacts from the air hammer (piston) is providing the force to drive the graver through the metal.

You will also find it more forgiving on odd curves that you may need to cut.

Since you are already an experienced engraver the learning curve will be very short. I would say that within a day for sure you will be comfrotable enough with it to use it on work. It took me about 15 minutes to make the transition from a foot pedal airgraver to a palm control. It may take you a bit longer due to getting used to the power assist as well as the palm control.

Another factor is your physical fatigue. You will not have to use nearly as much muscle and fatigue will drop way way down.

Training new guys??? The air assited gravers have a much shorter learning curve than a traditional push graver since you are not having to train near as much muscle memory to get the same job done.

J.C. used to be a push graver guy. I am sure he can give you a lot of good insights into why you want to switch.

Steve, you owe me a big gulp :D