Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 AM
Platinum

Default Re: thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles starks
im sorry tom i missed this part again its been a very long day

the question i posted at least for me is about all the change . how did we get to where we are today , what was the progression of change .
i think all these comparison being shown , are actually leading us down that path of trying to figure this out .
i think the answer can be very simply but as often the case , the simple answer has allot of context to it .

myself i dont see how we can try to understand this topic without also understanding the different venues of period engraving or other arts which happened at the same time . as we look at these different photos of different time periods , i think we start to see how it all ties together to show a progression of change
Maybe what we are seeing is a refinement of that art over a short 100 to 150 year timeframe .
But if that’s the case then why have we not seen this same refinement over the last 150 years as America became one of the wealthiest nations in the world ?
I've pretty much been at the very edge of my own very limited knowledge on this whole topic. A very in depth doctoral thesis could have a field day on this topic, and would be well worth writing, but it is far beyond me!

In terms of history and depth of tradition, we may never equal Europe. If Beretta stays in existence, we will never have a company in our country with that much longevity.

maybe we are finally catching up in the area of the engraving arts. Why has it taken so long? I don't know. maybe Americans generally like the look and feel of real wood more than the real thing?

Off to work now!

Tom