View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Steel

Default Re: Pauls Gold Inlay submission

Hello all

Work has been conspiring against me to find any time for this project and with christmas around the corner, its unlikely to get any better.
I can see I wont be engraving the ruger any time soon. A week ago I did try my hand at engraving some letters (similar to the side of the ruger and to scale ).
The lack of practice and the size of these letters proved to be very difficult for me, and I am not very happy with the result.
But here it is Warts and All.

First the lettering was reversed acetone onto some practice metal

This was cut with a lindsay detaling engraver. I found the whole scale of engraving difficult, especially exiting the cut and trying to end the cut sharp

All the letters were undercut with a very fine flat, There was a very fine line between undercutting enough and starting to distort metal near other cuts.

Finally the cuts were filled with .45mm wire and sanded back.

And the result, mmmmmmmmmm, dont know what to say.
On this small lettering the finest engraving error is very visible, Also have to watch out with the punch, I hit the plate again in a few spots ( near both the R )

To add contrast I thought I would try just adding shadow lines as compared to fully engraving a border. Again I am having trouble with the scale ( under 2mm )
If i was to engrave away from the copper metal It would enlarge the letters too much, but If I engrave too close the engraver wanders into the copper

Pic 20

I just dont know if I can engrave this fine
I think apart from actually engraving inconsistent lines, when I undercut I am changing the openings and this results in different thickness inlays, I am not sure how to correct this, apart from practice???, and I am not sure I am going to like the result even if I get it right.

Till next time

Paul