View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Gold

Default Re: Brian H. contest submission Engraved Nude folder

We already marked the borders prior to glueing being that having glue at the edge interferes with the dividers. So first thing, I cut the outside border, now we have to keep in mind our handle inlay is still unprotected so we do not want to be swiping any chips across it. Next I cut the border around the inlay. I use a 110 graver with a longer heel then I generally use, it helps keep the graver cutting on an even plain and the narrower V also shows less width variation of there is any dolphin action. There is really no way I have found to mark a guide line around the handle inlay. So what I do, is taper the face of my graver down so that the cutting point is the distance from the edge as I want my border from the edge of the handle inlay. So when I cut I place the tool so the edge of the graver is at the edge of the handle inlay and I use that to follow, combine that with a consistant depth of cut and you will get an accurate border. If that description makes no sense I can post an illustration but hopefully it is understandable.

Now we can protect the handle inlay, I use heavy packaging tape. Stick the tape down and then cut around using the border line to cut into. I use an exacto knife that I rounded the front portion of the blade and sharpened it so I can push the cut and see where I am cutting.

[IMG][/IMG]

So now we are ready for the design. I scale my working design down and vectorize it in Illustrator and print it out on the Epson transparencies. Using the damar varnish/alcohol mix I burnish the design on. Now rubbing will take off the ink, so I take AquaNet or any cheap lacquer hair spray and give it a light coat to protect the ink.

Time to cut. The first thing we want to cut is or inlay pockets. I use an 80 graver with the Lindsay grind and reverse relief. The thing looks like the Concord, but you can get in there and cut deep and get very little burring. On inlay pockets cut to the inside of your layout line, remember we will be outlining the gold once it is set, so we need to leave space for that line.

Typically when I do multi color inlay, if I have different colors of golds meeting, I inlay one color surface it down, and then inlay the next color, and I inlay hardest to softest, but 18k (the hair) is not that hard so I will go ahead and inlay my fine gold first. Once I have outlined my pockets, I can now cut the rest of my design. When doing this there are two things you want to remember cut on the outside edge of your layout line and do not cut into an inlay pocket, stop just short and we can continue the cut once the gold is set, if we cut into it now our gold will spill into that cut and causes issues. I use a 110 for this.

Once the design is cut, we can finish cutting out the pockets, undercut and raise some teeth. I use a rotary to remove the bulk of the material and then clean up with the 80 graver, and under cut with a small knife graver, I cut single teeth with a flat in the narrow lines and will do cross hatched teeth in larger areas. Here is a pic of the finished channel, and note how all the lines are stopped short of the channel.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok if I have lost anybody let me know I can post some pics of the tools and clearify anything that was not well explained. To be continued.......