View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Let Me Try My Questions Here

Buster,

I'm not sure I understand your question, especially "to re-create the fine needle strokes unseen."

First there are no needles used in engraving. Whether one is engraving a copper plate for printing, a silver bracelet or a shotgun, the engraver uses tools known as gravers or chisels. To familiarize yourself with the art, click on the link under my signature for the engraving glossary then surf around. That will answer many questions.

The print engravers of the late 19th century were able to work at the highest level imaginable. Look for examples of their work printed on currency of the time. They could also engrave large book plates such as the Bible Gallery and the Divine Comedy which were engraved by the artists in Gustave Dore's studio.

After a metal plate is engraved then inked for printing, it and the paper are run through a press under pressure. The ink is drawn out of the cuts onto the paper. This technique will reveal even the finest cuts of the graver on the resultant print.

CRB