View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Gold

Default Re: airgraver power supply

Will do, Kurt. :thumbsup: I talked with SL a while back about this and he didn't see any reason from an engineering standpoint not to pursue this.

At my shop, we would fill tanks occassionally for non-diving applications. I remember one guy who used a scuba tank to start his airplane engine. (Don't ask me exactly how that worked!) We just required a boiler-plate, written statement to be signed and witnessed for non-divers with no certification stating that it was to only be used for non life support purposes.

One word of caution to those non-divers who may be considering this. Federal law requires a current (within 5 years) hydrostatic certification on high pressure cylinders such as is used for scuba. So before you buy a used tank at a pawn shop or garage sale, understand that no one will fill it without a current hydrostatic test. Some shops also require an annual visual inspection of the interior of the tank, which they will do at the dive shop.

The hydro date will be stamped just below the neck in the mm-yy format. Hydros can run $30 or $40 dollars and there is always the chance that a tank might fail the test. (In which case the testing station will drill a big hole in the side of it converting it to a large paper weight.)