Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 11-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Copper

Default very NEWBIE

Happy Thanksgiving.
I am new to this site and trying to figure out my way around these pages.
Wow a lot of info here. I am very new to engraving .will like the all help I can get. I have only made what I call scratch marks on metal with a hammer and chisel. Then purchased a air graver. Thanks PEPPER
Old 11-24-2017, 02:13 AM
Platinum

Default Re: very NEWBIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper View Post
Happy Thanksgiving.
I am new to this site and trying to figure out my way around these pages.
Wow a lot of info here. I am very new to engraving .will like the all help I can get. I have only made what I call scratch marks on metal with a hammer and chisel. Then purchased a air graver. Thanks PEPPER
Hi Pepper
Welcome to The Engraving Forum.
You know hammer and chisel and I believe then you acquired an Airgraver ,I think you are pretty on the engraving path now.
All The Best.
SE
Old 11-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Platinum

welcome welcome Pepper, I'm old school and new also, first tried push and likes that......now air and push. You will like it here, friendly peeps.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Platinum

Welcome! :-) You will love the AirGraver for sure, its an amazing tool!
Old 11-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Copper

Thanks for the welcome .This is pretty far form what I did as a profession. I built cars and motorcycles But still working with metal .Now that I retired I need to something else. I having been learning gunsmithing for the last few years. The smith I work with has been teaching me everything,he builds mostly muzzleloaders and now got me started on trying to learn some engraving I like it.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Steel

Welcome Pepper; I started after retiring as well. it was something I was always interested in but life, time, work all that stuff gets in the way. The people on this forum are fantastic and I can only speak of what I have heard and my experience with the Lindsay tools. Both have been exceptional. I have the PC tool and templates; both The universal and the set of Ray Cover templates. I like them all because it makes repeatable results easy.

I took Ray Cover's beginner class and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Ray is a great teacher and I think the 4-5 days you spend there take a year off trying to learn by yourself. Im working now on getting my cuts decent enough to take the advanced class this summer.

I enjoy looking at the real craftsman's work on this forum, it inspires me to practice hard and aspire to be better. Its a fun hobby, I have AH moments daily at the bench. I found sharpening to be very important and would just pass that on to you. If you don't have templates I would suggest them as a great investment.

I built myself a power hone, not all that hard, and it has allowed me to rough in a graver in a few minutes which allows for several sharp gravers of each type at the ready when they run low a short session at the stones gets me back going again.

Enjoy your time here
Old 06-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Copper

Hi, just wondering, what AirGraver setup did you purchase ?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Platinum

Brian,If you would like to try any of the Lindsay Air Graver's give me a call 703-330-0448 Manassas,Va. J.J.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:54 AM
Steel

Hello and welcome!! depending on what all equipment you have "I too am a newbie" will make the beginning experience different, getting a sharpening template I would say is a must. also there are many videos on youtube from lindsey and other engravers and if possible I would highly recommend takig a class with a master engraver if you have any local.
Best wishes!
Old 08-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Platinum

it might take a little looking but there is a lot of info here for a beginner.