Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Default Glide-Lock Vises

Just finished this larger version of the glide lock vise. This vise is shorter and stockier than the earlier, smaller glide lock. The sphere of the ball is large so that the center of the sphere is located at the top of the jaws. This means when you tilt the vise the image you are looking at through the scope (or otherwise) stays put and doesn't move off to the side or change in depth. Tim Wells told me this concept was discussed on the knifenetwork forum several years ago and later on Sam's site. Noud Peters made a nice one and Jim Riser also showed a photo of an old antique vise he acquired that has a large bottom sphere. Anyway, I wanted to try the concept and try making one.

What I tried to do with this prototype is fit the patented cam vise lock-mechanisms into the lower half of the sphere so that the tilt and linear positioning top portion can be locked in place and to keep the center of the sphere located at the top of the jaws. The overall OD is 8" and it is 7.5" high. The whole top turning portion including the jaws and nuts are made from prehardened 4140. The jaw inserts are D2. The last part I made was the base plate. Looking at the picture now, I think the base needs to be a little wider. It is 8" dia but I think it may look better at 9" or even 10".

Weight of this one is 58 lbs (the earlier smaller stainless design weight is 37 lbs.) I shot the vises together for comparison.

The original glide-lock vise has been slow going to production. I have an idea for another feature for yet another vise that I will start on next. I don't know if the idea will work, but I will go through the motions. It should be cool if it can work.

I apoligize but there are still no vises for sale. I'm back in the design stages. I don't want to sell a vise and then the next month think of a better design.

Thank you Roland for your help with the vises!

Steve

EngravingArtist.com
Old 09-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Glide-Lock Engraving Vises

Hi Steve,

Very Nice Vise.

Will It have Holes for holding devices and maybe removable Jaws in the main jaws for V's and soft or custom main jaws??

How wide will the jaws open??

Looks great

AirAmp
Old 09-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Glide-Lock Engraving Vises

Hi AirAmp, I was thinking that too. To make a second set of soft brass jaw inserts for it. Could drill holes in the D2 jaw inserts. Also, maybe drill and tap the top similar to the smaller vise for bolting on wood jaws on. I did place a small verticle V in one of the D2 inserts and also a slight recess for holding practice or thin plates.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 09-20-2008, 10:38 PM

Default Re: New Glide-Lock Vise

Can we name it the "Steve Lindsay Stubby Vise"? I like that, built like a tank!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New Glide-Lock Vise

Hi,

That sounds great. Holes for 1/4 inch pins and #29 on top would be great.

If the D2 jaws are removable all types of jaws could be made of brass or 6061 t6. Easy to get easy to machine and soft..

Maybe even a set of whole main jaws to drop the height to if you want for easier work under the Scope or make it real wide like 4" or 5 inch.

With a vise like that anything is possible.

Keep up the outstanding work..

airamp
Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Gold

Default Re: Glide-Lock Vises

Steve, They look awesome. Maybe by the time you get them to the point to where you are selling them, I can buy one. We'll see. So many toys, not enough funds Dwayne

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Gold

Looking just great Steve. Your new toys are coming along just find. You take care Jack
Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Gold

Steve, thats an awesome vise....at 60lbs, I think my vise support will need some reinforcement
Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatP
Steve, thats an awesome vise....at 60lbs, I think my vise support will need some reinforcement
Hi PatP, Yep, you wouldn't want this one to fall on your foot.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 10-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Platinum

Steve
Might I suggest one other thing.
A TEXTURED finger surface. Most people have trouble with finger slip on very smooth surfaces. Some even resort to putting non skid on the vise to make sure it turns and doesn't slip when it should. Those that "like a tight vise" have more trouble with this.

Also, the one on the right is visually appealing while the one on the left is "massive" looking.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny C
Steve
Might I suggest one other thing.
A TEXTURED finger surface. Most people have trouble with finger slip on very smooth surfaces. Some even resort to putting non skid on the vise to make sure it turns and doesn't slip when it should. Those that "like a tight vise" have more trouble with this.

Also, the one on the right is visually appealing while the one on the left is "massive" looking.
Thanks Danny, That is a good idea. I have some holes drilled in the jaws now. I shipped it to Mike Dubber. He is trying it out now.
Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 10-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Platinum

Steve, Send them to me to evaluate and I'll do a review as how they would work for the engraver compared to the others (no name)...
I can spend more time with them now than most because I haven't started engraving full time yet...
The jewelry business is dead and I have more time on my hands than should be allowed, so I have the time now, don't wait or delay to long, I may get busy...
I'll put more Diamonds in the PC just from nothing to do...
Nice, Jerry
Old 10-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Jerry, Do you has some diamonds ready to set in the vise
EngravingArtist.com
Old 10-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Platinum

Plenty, Got a few .20 to .75ct that would look good, so how big and how many???
That would be nice, next show we are at I bring the diamonds and what tools needed to set a few...
Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Platinum

Hi Steve,
A suggestion.The base plate on the bigger vise could be 1" or 2" digger than the middle ball with a satin finish,as all them different oils,shellacs,etc etc will with use leave stains,hand and finger prints,on the vise.
Looking Good,
Mohd
Old 10-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Hi Mohd, I agree. That is what I mentioned in the first post that the base will be increased in diameter. That will add to the weight. Total should be around 65 to 70lbs.
Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 10-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Gold

Hope it comes in two peices. Us old guys shouldn't lift that much.HAHAHA Jack
Old 10-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Platinum

Humm
I think that it need 's the high altitude test:smilie5:
Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Test Driving the Lindsay Glide-Lock

I've had the opportunity to test drive one of the new Glide-Lock model vises over the past two weeks. Steve sent one of the new heavier (58 pound) models of the vise for me to try out under a variety of different engraving situations.

First, let me say that any good machinist could probably build a big heavy vise for engravers, but since we have all become accustomed to Lindsay quality in our engraving equipment, this Glide-Lock was certainly no dissapointment. In additon to being big, solid, and heavy, the Glide-Lock is also beautifuly machined - and its works flawlessly.

The cam-lock levers that allow you to tilt the sphere and adjust the lineal top slide work easily and positively. The engineering objective was to create a vise that remains centered under the microspscope as the sphere is tilted. Steve solved that problem with the sphere - that allows you to tilt the entire top section without losing center. Then, the lineal movement of the top section provides about 4 1/2" of side-to-side movement for following scrolls under the scope - significantly more than any other commercial engraver's block or vise.

This photo shows the entire setup under my scope with a custom M-70 Winchester action in the jaws. You can see that I have the sphere tilted to the front and the vise top set off-center, allowing me to engrave through the curve of the action.

Here you can see the top of the vise and the scrolled inlay I was working on the flat of the action.

In this shot you can see the 12" barrel of a Colt SAA. As I engraved the scroll pattern it was very easy to rotate the sphere without losing the visual center of the pattern under the scope.

So, it's been fun, and I've enjoyed the opportunity to use this great piece of equipment. This vise is a test model and Steve is working on some additional improvements to the design. Sooner or later I'll have one of these for myself!

Mike Dubber
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Copper

man, what a beautiful piece of work (both the vice and the engraving!!) he work I'm seeing on this site is astounding...every other thread I click my jaw hits my lap!

are these vises going to be available for purchase?

Gotta check my piggy bank...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Steel

Steve,

So for us just getting into engraving....should I wait for this badboy to be available? I can get one of those grizzly vise to hold me over till this is ready.

How soon do you feel this will be ready?

Donny
Old 04-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Thanks Earthheavy!
Hi Donny, The glide-lock may be a while yet. I'm changing the bearing configuration around in them so hopefully it will make it easier for production. There is another vise that should be ready in a few weeks and that is going into production. I'll release info about it when they are ready to be ordered.
EngravingArtist.com