Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Steel

Red face Knives

Okay so I make custom knives, yes one of ten thousand others. I am forging and grinding 1095, 1084, 52100 and W2 steels and I clay temper all my knives. The backs and tangs should be about 50 rhc. A guess only. easy to file. So for a border design and floral design what graver material and what point styles would you masters suggest. I don't mind working out the kinks but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited by preachinpilot; 01-24-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Knives

Hi Preachin Pilot

M42 or carbalt gravers are good and will take care of that V-116 template for all outline cutting and re-cutting V96 template for all shading then you can temper the knife,can you tell us more about "clay temper" and how it is done please ?
There is also the Ronald Baptiste inlay
template if you want to do gold inlay and stippling template for background grey or black.Also does good bulino dots.
My suggestion only.

SE
Old 01-26-2016, 06:08 AM
Steel

Okay . Before final grinding and tempering the blade spine is covered with clay in a pattern approximately 1/2 way down blade , leaving the edge bare. The blade is quenched in oil and the clay keeps the covered portion from hardening. Then the blade is tempered 400-500 degrees depending on metal. The backs are fileable so I believe they are 50ish RHC.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:43 PM
Copper

Hello I am no expert but you will save alot of headaches if you do your engraving when the knife is annealed it will cut nice and less headaches all around I assume that you do all your grinding win its annealed it sure saves time that way. When I started making knives I didn't anneal anything but I sure do now
Old 01-27-2016, 12:15 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachinpilot View Post
Okay . Before final grinding and tempering the blade spine is covered with clay in a pattern approximately 1/2 way down blade , leaving the edge bare. The blade is quenched in oil and the clay keeps the covered portion from hardening. Then the blade is tempered 400-500 degrees depending on metal. The backs are fileable so I believe they are 50ish RHC.
Hi
Thank you Preaching Pilot.That is interesting .You use any clay or is there a special type ?
SE
Old 03-25-2016, 11:25 PM
Steel

Thanks all! I use satanite which is foundry refractory. I anneal my blades or temper them in an oven to apprx 55-59 rh. I still need lots of practice before I post any pics but will try to post a pic of a knife with the clay tempered blade or "hamon".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3823_zpszvyjgf5m.jpg (66.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151203_100844.jpg (167.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151215_163854.jpg (112.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-26-2016, 06:56 PM
Platinum

Engrave before heat treating.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Steel

OUCH!!! I am tempering and or heat treating my knives the old fashioned way I guess. I always have scale after the hardening and have been media blasting the blade before tempering. Cant hurt to cut some metal and see how it works out. I am presuming that most engraved knives are heat treated in a kiln and are wrapped in stainless sheet. Presuming.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachinpilot View Post
Thanks all! I use satanite which is foundry refractory. I anneal my blades or temper them in an oven to apprx 55-59 rh. I still need lots of practice before I post any pics but will try to post a pic of a knife with the clay tempered blade or "hamon".
Hi
Thanks for the info on satanite Preachinpilot.
SE
Old 04-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Steel

Okay so here is the skinny. Finish the knife to 400 grit or more, engrave, then heat treat in a kiln. Yep got it, Wrapped in stainless foil the steel stays clean. For stainless or a2 anyway. Still working it.