Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Steel

Default my weekend practice plate

This took a long time to complete. Done on a offcut scrap brass plate 3mm thick. All done with the universal point.
Again it's copied from a plate from "a guide to Drawing Acanthus" and again the transfer was a bit dodgy. Plate size ia about 4" x 2.5"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg practice Jan812.jpg (45.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg practice complete.jpg (42.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg practice closeup A.jpg (48.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg practice closeup C.jpg (49.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg practice closeup F.jpg (44.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by celticjohn; 01-09-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Platinum

Default Re: my weekend practice plate

Nice exercises... Maybe it is time to engrave a real project...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 AM
Platinum

Hi John,

That is great going,awesome !!
What transfer method do you use,if I may ask ? And printer ?

SE
Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Steel

SE.
Now sure what the technique is called, basically as a last resort I used neat Damar Varnish on the plate, rubbed it on with my finger. Placed the printed image onto the plate and let it dry. Once it dried then rubbed the back of the dampened paper with my finger until there was just the print left. In some sections it worked, others it just tore through the paper. Sections that were bad i just redrew with a pencil.
I initially had it printed to acetate from my own printer, lexmark inkjet. That didn't work at all, whatever I variation I tried. As a last resort I used the larger laser print I'd brought home from work for reference. I initially didn't want the print that size. The complete image was meant to fit on the plate squarely. I had intented to guillotine off the bad section to square it off. It was good practice however.

I'll have to think up a project as Roland suggests.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticjohn View Post
SE.
Now sure what the technique is called, basically as a last resort I used neat Damar Varnish on the plate, rubbed it on with my finger. Placed the printed image onto the plate and let it dry. Once it dried then rubbed the back of the dampened paper with my finger until there was just the print left. In some sections it worked, others it just tore through the paper. Sections that were bad i just redrew with a pencil.
I initially had it printed to acetate from my own printer, lexmark inkjet. That didn't work at all, whatever I variation I tried. As a last resort I used the larger laser print I'd brought home from work for reference. I initially didn't want the print that size. The complete image was meant to fit on the plate squarely. I had intented to guillotine off the bad section to square it off. It was good practice however.

I'll have to think up a project as Roland suggests.

Hi John,

You seem to mention about problems so I asked as at one stage I too had some.
I then used Airamps method and I get 95 - 100 % transfers now;

Its here;

http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=8159

"Why don't you give white Translucent Vellum a try with the laser and delmar/zippo/ and testors white paint a try..."

The vellum helped immensely,but I use 30% to 70% dammar varnish to Zippo fluid .Print the design 600-1200 dpi on a laser b/w brother printer- £50.

Apply the design to receiving surface when the damar is tacky and remove just before it completely dries.
If you get glare use liquid tippex or testors paint.Two drops in the solution.

Rolands suggestion is great,and from personal experiences he will also guide and advise you too.

SE