Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Copper

Default Hello, first time here

Hello, my name is Chad. I am new to this site and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Ft. Worth, Texas but I am currently in Iraq because of my job. I will be here for a year at least, I got here in December. I get to go home in July though for about 3 and a half weeks to visit before having to come back....HAHA. Anyways, no, I am not in the military, although I did serve in the Marine Corps, proudly, for 7 years. I am married and have 3 kids at home waiting on me. I got into engraving custom bicycle parts and car parts about 2 years ago but I have never used a graver. I only had an older paragrave system that I got from a friend of mine. I have tried doing as much research as I can and have learned that the cleaner cuts and nicer pieces come from gravers. So, I am planning on buying myself a graver when I return home as I will finally be able to afford one (since we all know they arent cheap) I am here on this site to research and learn and read as much info as I possibly can so that when I get home and spend the money on a graver and try to learn with it, I wont be wasting my money. Any help that any of you can offer would be greatly appreciated as I havent the slightest idea on a graver system. I have read that you need to sharpen them and all this stuff which wasnt done on a rotary system like I had, when it got dull you just replaced it with a $2 tip and kept going. I do plan on keeping my rotary system for background removal and things like that but I want to learn with a graver so, thanks in advance, I hope you all will have me.

Chad

P.S. I have to say, you are all some VERY talented people, I have been so interested in engraving for years. The work I have seen displayed on here is beautiful and I hope to one day be able to create pieces like the ones seen here.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello, first time here

Welcome aboard Chad
Lots of interesting stuff to learn here, a few bike part engravers about if you search related topics....
An amazing bike tank in progress thread is currently running by Otto thats worth following.

Have fun.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Gold

Default Re: Hello, first time here

You're very welcome to the forum .

A tremendous amount of knowledge and information here.