Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,356. Welcome to our newest member, tonya_davidson
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Antique Engraver's Tools -Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Steel

Default Antique Ruling Machine

This machine was originally owned by the John A Lowell banknote company (New England agents of the Continental Banknote Company). It went through many loving hands and had modifications and additions until it came to Warren G Ogden Jr - a top engineer at Raytheon during WWII.

It now belongs to me. I have a number of his correspondences along with it but there are some mysteries.

My biggest challenge is learning how it works. I understand the concepts about it and how it works basically but I need to learn how these type of machines work.

Does anyone here have any advice for me or knowledge?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Antique Ruling Machine

About all's I can do for Ya is tell you to spray it with some WD 40. Looks like it would be fun to mess with. Thanks for sharing
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Steel

I have a similar machine, but mine doesn't have the complex indexing thingy like this one. I think mine is a Cronite. I've never used mine, but built a simpler ruling machine that I've used a few times playing around with banknote style printing. This is a nice one and probably worth a lot of money to the right guy.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Copper

Try this link to information from the Smithsonian. Download is slow so have a cup of coffee.
http://www.sil.si.edu/SmithsonianCon.../SSHT-0032.pdf

Also additional information from Google patents.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Copper

I would love to see something created by this machine. Will you please post pictures?

Les
Old 11-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Steel

Sefac,

Thank you for the link
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHolmes View Post
I would love to see something created by this machine. Will you please post pictures?

Les
I am working of it!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefac View Post
Try this link to information from the Smithsonian. Download is slow so have a cup of coffee.
http://www.sil.si.edu/SmithsonianCon.../SSHT-0032.pdf

Also additional information from Google patents.
I suspected it had a tracing attachment!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:50 AM
Steel

does this machine hold a graver on one side cause if it do you just mite have one of a kind plate engraver
Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Steel

ok I found some information on your machine what you have is a banknote pattern engraver what it does is after an engraver made all the details on a plate they would put it on one of these machine and engrave the line patterns on the bill what it made it difficult to counter fit the bill there capable of doing all types of pattern by just moving a few gears the table actually rocks side to side and back and fourth if it steel works a collector would pay top dollars there is a guy that could give u more info on it his name is Stuart king his web page www.stuartking.co.uk there's a video on you tube called banknote and coin engraving that shows about 3 model different from these one but the same concept
Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Steel

That is exactly what this is used for. It also seems to have a relief tracing attachment and at least one cycloid attachment. It also can take wave patterns. And yes it works like a charm. It also comes with an interesting series of letters and notes from the engineer owner who I am sure these collectors would know as he was a prominent scholar in turning engines.

It originally belonged to the John Lowell Bank Note Company of Boston and seems to date from about 1870 or so. It was bought by employees of the firm to keep it from being scrapped.

Warren G Ogden, a top engineer at Raytheon during WWII who went on to become a leading scholar in Holtzapffel rose engines came across it and fell in love with it, buying it to preserve it. I have a number of letters in his hand including one to Robert N Steffans, founder of the Cronite Company and author of the Engraved Stationery Handbook asking for advice about his "special machine".

From Ornamental turning.net:

"Warren Green Ogden, Jr. (1906-1991)
Ogden lived in North Andover, Massachusetts where he was a top-level engineer and precision instrument maker. He worked on many U.S. government projects, especially during World War II and later for NASA. While not noted for the actual performance of ornamental turning, Ogden was as a master toolmaker who provided invaluable assistance in making and repairing broken or missing parts for ornamental turning lathes and apparatus.

But he would be most remembered for his work in documenting the Holtzapffel family genealogy and their achievements in designing and making ornamental turning lathes, which he began in 1952. Various portions of his research were published in the Society of Ornamental Turners Bulletins which were eventually expanded to a complete volume, The Pedigree of Holtzapffel Lathes, published in 1987. Much of the material on the history that appeared in Knox's Ornamental Turnery came from Ogden's extensive research and from his association with the British Science Museum.

Ogden also worked with Abell and Leggat to produce the Bibliography of Lathe and Machine Tool History which has become one of the most useful tools of the technical historian. This was first published by the Society of Ornamental Turners in 1950 and later in 1987 as A Bibliography of the Art of Turning & Lathe and Machine Tool History.

His most treasured possession was the famous and fully equipped combined Holtzapffel rose engine / ornamental turning lathe No. 1636. He also maintained a magnificent library of more than 3000 books along with one of the finest workshops. For a tribute to Ogden, see the Society of Ornamental Turners Bulletins #85. A complete, detailed biography of Ogden is found in the preface to The Pedigree of Holtzapffel Lathes."

Even after selling his prized turning engine this machine held a prized place in his shop until after his death.

I obtained the machine along with an old pantograph and a number of documents from Warren Ogden III and have since worked with Robert R. Stephans the current owner of Cronite to really assess it and get her working though she does work well as she was maintained quite lovingly.

It was an eery moment when I got the machine to my shop and started reading the letters and realized the longest one was to the late father of my friend whom I had just bought an intaglio die stamping engraving press from not a week before. He seemed noticeably moved by reading the letter.

There are some extra parts and gears that I am loving trying to solve and I'm sure a collector would love even more as they are all hand made even down to the little pins and screws.

Mr Stephan's probably knows more than most folks from a history of American banknote production and the manufacture of these machines which Cronite still does (though there's are far smaller and more simple). He said he has never seen one with so large a working table. You could really fit a nice sized plate on this machine.

I appreciate you looking into this. It is a fascinating story to say the least.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Steel

Edit - accidentally posted twice
Old 01-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Gold

Send a message via AIM to spike Send a message via Skype™ to spike

Want to sell it?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 AM
Steel

hey InkiB I would love to see it if you have a store pm me the info to see if I could make the trip
Old 01-31-2014, 12:13 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
Want to sell it?
It would depend on the buyer.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 AM
Platinum

amongst others, likely produces harmonic motion. such creates beautiful patterns that can be repeated. i don't think these remarkable patterns are likely produced by hand, tho i could be wrong.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Copper

I could make some wonderful sundials with that machine.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Copper

I have something similar to your machine. Its a Royle-Richards engravers ruling machine. Can't seam to find out how much it is worth. It belonged to my grandfather and then my father. I was a pantograph engraver for 48 years. This machine sat in my fathers basement for almost 50 years. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, poppylarry
Old 05-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Hi Poppylaqrry, I ended up purchasing this machine from Inkb several years back. There are still a lot of questions to this one. Seems like there have been revisions and modifications to it. There are duplicates of some things and others missing.

Can you take some photos of yours and post them here? It would be interesting to compare and see if we can figure them out more.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Copper

Not to be nosey, but what did you pay for the machine? This one looks pretty complete based on the photo I have. Will try to send photos.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Ok..great on photos when you get a chance. We did a trade. An AirGraver.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Steel

It would be such a blast to figure out how that guy works and make up a manual and sample book! And to think they made that without CAD or CNC.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Copper

click this link to see the machine I have in my basement right now. Cleaning
it up is taking some time but it look in very good condition. Will send photos when done.
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...l.aspx?id=6322
Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Steel

That looks like a nice machine. It will be interesting to see one cleaned up and in working order. Send us some pics when you're done.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Copper

Here it is. Will send more photos later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170520_202514.jpg (81.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppylaqrry View Post
Here it is. Will send more photos later.
Nice!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Steel

Steve
When you get it figured out let us know. I'd love to see some examples of what it can do.
Now you just have to find a geometric lathe and you can start printing banknotes.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Copper

Here are more pictures of my Royle and Sons ruling machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170529_161521.jpg (60.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170529_161544.jpg (63.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170529_161601.jpg (82.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170529_162151.jpg (57.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170529_161747.jpg (51.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170529_162220.jpg (68.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Administrator

It looks in super shape. Have you gotten to try it and make some lines?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:36 AM
Copper

I have not tried to cut anything yet. I have been too busy just getting the machine in top notch condition. Will post after trying to cut into metal.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Copper

Something I cut last night. Machine table will move in .001 increments and 1 degree rotation increments. You can set the cutting depth in .001 increments also. Will send more photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170605_075924.jpg (68.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Steel

It looks like there is a drum or roller for producing patterns. Is there just the one or are there multiples? Nice work.