Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Steel

Default still working on the scroll thing but getting better

My wallet, Still so new, but still loving it. The other day while looking at someones work the scroll work started to make a little more sense to me so I started on my wallet and now I can not stop.

Please let me know what I can do better.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 AM
Platinum

Default Re: still working on the scroll thing but getting better

Hi maybe i'm not the most indicated for a critique hehehe but if you want some advices to do it better maybe you have to considere,build a design with more "order" scrolls are a little confused,you can't see how "born" one and follow the other,and the scrolls bones anatomy too needs a little more armony,when you have correct it,you can pass to the other step that is intent do the leafs a little better,all the way good work,scroll design is not easy expecially in the beguinning part of engraving learning,my advice is to make a folder in your pc and put in it all the pics works of others engravers that you like it,after that you can try to "copy" drawings the elements that you like more,is very helpfull,considere that the base of engraving is the draw,try to draw one or two hours for day,and you will see soon good results in yours engravings
Other good way is organize your pics or videos with a social neetwork called pinterest,a days ago i have create one and is very helpfull for me ,i acess to him every i want from internet you can see the mine hearesearching in google : pinterest.com/mrthe77
Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Steel

mrthe,

As always thank you. I am a big fan of your work, so I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum

DC,

Rather than do a critique of your work on the wallet, I will try to give some sense of direction based on what I can see.
* When designing scrollwork everything begins with a perfect backbone. If your spirals have kinks, doglegs, and elbows nothing that follows will ever look right. Download copies of Steve Shepherd's scroll spirals from the tools page (http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engrav...s_Overview.htm) and trace or transfer them to begin your designing.
* To rephrase a point MRTHE was making above, a scrollwork design must have a point of origin from which all spirals grow and flow. See point of origin in my glossary here: http://www.engravingglossary.com/Han...ossary%20P.htm
* Looking at all of the work pictured here from the advanced beginner to the master it is very tempting to begin cutting designs that are far past one's skill level with the graver. Patience and diligent practice must come first. Cut hundreds of straight lines on a practice plate until you can cut them as if they were done with a milling machine. Intersperse that practice by cutting circles within circles until you can cut perfect circles. Next move on to cutting spirals that were laid out with the templates.
* A combination of design practice with the pencil and devoted cutting practice will get you where you want to be. Don't forget that the masters who show their work here spent years grinding through all of these exercises.
* Keep doing what your doing by showing your progress in this forum for critique.

Good luck and best wishes,
Roger
Old 05-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to JRon

Good advise from Roger! I have noticed over the years that with the advent of power assist gravers, a lot of the H & C technique has been lost. I believe that all learning pupils should have a working knowledge of hand tools. The learning curve is much shorter nowadays than in the past (did'not have a forum in those days) so most of us were self taught. Roger said it takes years, and he is right! Patience has to be applied,
no matter what stage you are in. Remember....haste makes waste! Set up a working guild with goals and you will succeed with a good foundation. This forum has some of the best in the world willing to help with any problem you may come upon. Posting your progress is the best way to learn and gain respect among your peers_JR