Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Stainless Goliath Vise

The 30lb Goliaths are about ready to ship. The Goliath is the middle one. All three are now from stainless. I placed the "add to cart" button back on the site for the Goliaths.
http://www.airgraver.com/vises.htm

Click the arrow in the middle of the first photo. It is a video.

EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Copper

Default Re: Stainless Goliath Vise

My new Goliath is unpacked and on my bench.Waited a long time to upgrade my vice and I couldn't be more pleased!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.Mitchell Yates
Old 03-02-2017, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Okay, good. Glad you're liking it!
Keep me posted as you work with it if you have any questions.

Thanks again!
EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Gold

Man those vices look good!
I love my old Goliath vice, but a stainless model would be uber fantastic.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Platinum

When choosing my Lindsay vises I went straight from the Palm Control to the Titan, but I do have several other medium weight vises around the studio - like the LaTurneau and a couple of the GRS mid-weight vises. The new Goliath will likely work for everyone, the weight is good for firearms and not too much for most jewelry engraving.

The Titan is perfect for the serious Firearms Engraver who really needs that kind of mass and weight to counter balance barrels and other such heavy parts. Moreover, I've found that Titan absorbs the felt impact of the hand piece. When I switch back to the lighter vises I am immediately aware of two things, 1) I can feel the impact(s) of the hand piece through the body of the vise as the piston drives the graver through the metal, and 2) I readily notice the reduced effect of that impact against the steel.

I finally realized why some engravers use those heavy machine vises to hold their work - it's simple physics, a heavy vise improves the effect of a hammer stroke as it drives the graver through metal. There simply is no cause and effect vibration.

Now, we all can't afford to purchase and possess three engraving vices to use alternately as we engrave different sizes and weights of engraving subjects, but, it would be my opinion that if you exclusively engrave light objects like jewelry, the Palm Control Vise is perfectly designed for that use. The Goliath has good weight and mass for a variety of different engraving subjects, and the Titan is fits the bill for heavy engraving on large and heavy subjects.

Whatever you choose, be assured that Steve's vices are engineered to run smooth and provide a lifetime of service - and you will forever appreciate his choice of stainless steel for the metal. Finally, notice that each of these vices sit in metal bases...in my opinion that's one of the most significant attributes of a solid engraving vise.