Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Copper

Default Monster Bowie with Bald Eagle Engraving

I've been checking out posts here for the last few months. You all do some awesome work. Finally decided to do a post of my newest work.

I taught myself how to hand forge knives in 2011. I have a shop on Etsy.com My shop names is RiverForge all one word. I wanted to do something different on my blades so I thought I would try engraving. I bought my Lindsay Artisan graver back in March and I've been practicing a bit ever since.

Did this eagle with my new microscope setup. I had went to the big Knife show in Atlanta the last couple years with my son. I had gotten info on engraving metals but all the equipment was just so darn expensive. It took me some time to get money together to get the engraver. (Lindsay Artisan with tungsten piston) What a difference the tungsten piston made! But to do real detailed engraving I needed a microscope designed for engraving. They wanted like 2 grand for the scope at the knife show. I went to an auction at a local college with the wife and they just so happened to have hundreds of microscopes there for auction. They had one that I felt I could convert to my needs for engraving. I bought it along with a few more for my grandkids to have fun with. They were like $5 dollars each. I attached the microscope to a huge ammo can I had as a table. I took my swivel mechanics chair and used the swivel pedestal for a platform so the knife could spin around as you engrave it. They wanted like $500 for a swivel platform at the show. After I got all that together I did the eagle engraving with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized_DSC07911.jpg (97.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg resized_DSC07913.jpg (110.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg resized_DSC07922.jpg (128.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg resized_DSC07990.jpg (101.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Copper

Default Re: Monster Bowie with Bald Eagle Engraving

By the way I hand forged the blade from a truck leaf spring. The blade is about 12 inches long with a sharpened 5 inch clipped point edge as well.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:15 AM
Platinum

Hi Rick
It a good knife and a super start for you with engraved knives .
I see you may have your own style of engraving,most folks do.You are going only one way now ,thats All Ahead with forging and engraving knives.My next stop is your etsy shop.
Thank you for the pictures.
All The Best
SE
Old 12-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Copper

Thanks SE. I've been carving my knife handles and leather sheaths, seemed engraving the blades was the next step in my evolution.

Rick