Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-14-2013, 04:47 AM
Copper

Default Older guy, new engraver in Michigan

Hiya,

I am enjoying lurking and learning. I am grateful for all the skill demonstrated by those who post. The work I see is truly inspirational.

I am a scientist by day, artist by weekend. I have been doing some jewelry and lapidary work for awhile and have carved wood and stone for a long time, but only started engraving about 4 months ago. I wanted to bead set some stones and started playing with hand gravers. It has exploded into a passion.

I have some of my pieces in an etsy shop, if it is inappropriate to post a link I apologize and will understand if it is removed
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JelliesJewelry

And I am just getting comfy with cutting sterling and copper. Saving nickels for buying a pneumatic assist someday.

Best wishes and thanks for the selfless sharing of info and encouragement!

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (142.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Older guy, new engraver in Michigan

Hi,

Welcome to The Engraving Forum Jack.
I would not call you a 'new engraver' as there is some very good work I have seen on the link.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
SE
Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Gold

Went into your etsy shop. A very nice assortment of work. I like that silver butterfly with engraved wings. How is Etsy working out for you? Jack
Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Copper

Thanks for the compliments, and for asking. Etsy has been generally ok, but lots of downsides. It is low energy and low cost, easy to upload and maintain and gets a ton of site traffic. Downsides include the site generally has millions of items mostly not so great in my opinion. So, while there are some fantastic artists there, it is very difficult to stand out.

But, on balance it is not bad but I also do not have high expectations. I suppose if I were more serious about my brand I would look harder at an independent site. I made one awhile back but it was just too tedious to maintain so I dropped it and simply use etsy as a convenient way to show my work and sell a bit.