Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Steel

Post Knife for an old friend

This is the first engraved knife since getting my Classic Air graver. The stippled figure is also my first and was also done with the Air Graver. The bolsters are of 416 stainless, the engraving was done with a 120 degree Lindsay grind carbide graver, a small flat to remove the background and a carbide point for the stippling and background matting. The background was filled in with black etchers ink. I made this little hunter for an old friend who sold my first knife back in 1973 - he didn't ask to have it engraved, but I think I owe him a lot for getting me started on what has ended up being a life long career.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Gold

Default Re: Knife for an old friend

Beautiful work Fred, and a nice tribute to your friend.
I'm always inspired by this type of project because it comes from the heart, with nothing asked in return.
I tip my hat to you Sir!

Tim
Old 07-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Steel

Very fine, Fred. I am glad to see you here!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Platinum

Excellent work Dr. Fred. Thanks for sharing.
Otto
Old 07-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Steel

Very nice. Are you using the Classic?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Steel

Post Re: Knife for an old friend

JC - I have found that the Classic works well for very small engraving, I did the bolsters on a very small mini bowie, about 3/16" square with full scroll and had no real problems at all, I have also done practice scroll on a few pennies with no problem. As for the 120 (120-45.5 face-17.5 heel) it did take a bit of getting use to as all I had ever used was the standard 90 degree square graver with 20 heel. I did narrow the tip which helped me see what I was doing, the full width was just too much for my tired old eyes. At first my biggest problems were nipping the other engraving at times and I also wanted to lean it over too much on the main scroll at times which made it cut wider than I wanted - I twisted the handle around a bit to compensate for my tendency to roll it to the outside which has helped with that problem. For me the 120 point last a great deal longer and I like the way it instantly catches the steel on the start. Another great thing about Steves point is that it will cut cleanly around a tight turn, the 90 square point always wanted to drag the heel and seldon did I get a clean cut. When it comes to shading think I can cut just as thin of a shading line with it now as I did with the square graver. I experimented a great deal with graver materials and all of them seem to hold up well with the 120. I found some old Vallorbe gravers that are really only high carbon steel and was amazed at how they cut and held up in 416 with the 120 geometry- currently I am using Steve’s Carbalt and gravers from round stock (Micro 100 carbide) which I silver solder to square stock which hold up very well too. If you are having trouble with the 120 don’t give up as once you get the hang of using it you may just wonder how you ever got along without it.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Platinum

I like this job a lot, good cat and McKenzie influenced scroll, good work.