Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Platinum

Default What do you like most about your Lindsay Tool

So many great things to say about the AirGraver, so lets hear it...

I think I have sold all my other equipment and looking to put my second PC in the Stable...

Jerry

Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Platinum

Default Re: What do you like most about your Lindsay Tool

Well, there's the sheer joy of powered engraving of course, but I assume you're looking for the things that we like that are specific to these little beauties.

Let's see, in no particular order....

The workmanship. Steve obviously takes pride in his work and every one of his units I've ever seen was like a little jewel.

The design. Pretty clever to get such a small package to work so well.

The portability. That's a big one for me. With Steve's stuff you can take a not-too-heavy toolbox (or backpack) out into the middle of nowhere, find a nice rock to sit on, and get to work. Sure, you can do the same thing with H&C or palm push but then you lose the sheer joy of a powered system.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Platinum

Concerning the PC, I have to agree with KCSteve - it just "fits" in the hand and has amazing adjustablility right there.

Easy to use - Learning curve for new people is reduced tremendously. Learning how to engrave and use the tool at the same time is easily integrated.

Don't need any desktop/foot space for "other" equipment. Just a compressor somewhere and an air hose.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Gold

I cant say I have a *favorite* aspect about the PC Classic, its all around a great precision machine, that works flawlessly for me each and every time I pick it up.

On thing I would comment on, I run max air pressure, bout 75-80 psi (cutting stainless and some titanium) and the little air hose that fits into the PC pops off from time to time...Ill address that issue when time premits, fortunately it only happens when I power on the machine and not during a cut.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Those little hoses don't last forever, if Steve ever figures out how to make little tubing, they WILL last forever. A new piece should fix that although that is a lot of pressure for that little tube.

When you operate something outside its design parameters (little tubing) you do so on borrowed time and premature failure will ultimately occur. The hand piece will take it just fine but rubber tubing is only so strong.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Platinum

There should be a small round flat donut looking thing - that is to press around the tubing on the metal end - keeps tubing ON.

If its off - its a problem - if its too large - make a smaller one. Use a tiny "0" ring.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Gold

Yeah, im not saying its a problem, just something I have noticed. Im probably one of the few persons that run the PC maxed out on pressure all the time. Yes, the hose stretches, the little locking oring does move, and the hose pops off, no biggie. I might get frisky and machine up a tiny locking clamp for this hose...now that would be fun

Or If I just get lazy, smallparts offers a tiny hose clamp, not the best solution, but a solution none the less.

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/oci.cfm

edit: heat shrink tubing can work as a clamp too, but I dont think the hose Steve provides will stand up to the heat. I have been wrong before too
Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Hi Pat, I overnighted the tubing today. It should be there tomorrow.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Platinum

Wink Re: What do you like most about your Lindsay Tool

Iv'e been using a Classic now for a little over a month and comparing it to the other power graver and some things come to mind that are definitly better. One is that it is more intuitive than the other one I use and I think that the speed of the impacts makes it much easier to transition from a cut into another cut without the jump and the inevitable clean up I got with the other power graver. I like the portabilitiy and the small foot print. and it uses maybe 1/4 the air of the others.:yesnod:

Neil
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Gold

I've had my Classic for about a month now and for about a month now I haven't had time to even look at my 'honey-do list'. Every minute of spare time after work is spent in the shop engraving, some days even before work. I love it, it is really a nice performing tool. Everything works great, I guess what I like most about it is the ease of stroke adjustment for fine or heavier cutting. The soft stroke adjustment for intricate shading is super. Then with a turn or two I am back to cutting main lines on my design. The other day I tried my hand at sculpting a floral design. I had the stroke adjustment set for the longest stroke possible and hammered away at that poor flower for about an hour...it never skipped a beat. I was impressed with the tool and kinda-sorta with my flower. The ease of changing gravers is also a nice feature. Just slip out a dull graver and instantly slip in a sharp one, all in about 2 seconds. It's a great tool overall and wish I had discovered it a long time ago.
Gene
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Gold

There are several things I like about the PC first of all it just feels right in my hand.
The most important thing I like is it makes it possible for me to engrave. I have arthritis in my hands and also have had to have my old knee replacement replaced yea that is right I wrecked the first one after 13 years and had to have the same knee done again and that makes foot control a little difficult but with the PC I can keep cutting.
So my heart felt thanks to Steve because if it were not for his fine tools I would not be able to enjoy the art of engraving that is one hell of a gift in my book.
Tom White
Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 AM
Steel

Hi Patp
I have had similar issue's with hoses. I've never had a PC in my hand,but if there is a small metal tube this hose attaches to. I have used a soft iron wire twisted with pliers and the excess cut off. Low profile "clamp". If i needed a stronger clamp, i looped the wire first so i had a double wire clamp. I have even cut a shallow groove in the metal tubing to help hold the wire in place. One application/tool i did this on was in close proximity to my hand. So i wrapped it with a piece of tape. Hope this helps. rickw
Old 06-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Platinum

The quality is formost the biggest reason that I bought 2 Airgravers.
The quality of service, though rarely needed, is another reason I have Airgravers, you can't beat the service anywhere.

If the air hoses are poping off, first trim back the tubing about 3 inches so you are working with a fresh end. The tubing will stretch at the fitting over time. In 6 years using the tools, the hose has popped off maybe 4 times and it has always been caused by stretching at the fitting.

Next get a small plastic washer that is a tight fit over the tubing while it is on the fitting, so it holds the hose on the fitting tightly.
Once you get it in place, the hose will not come off and it will fit flush against the body or handle so it isn't in the way.

This should solve your problem.

Tim C
Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Platinum

Iv'e thought about the hose issue and trying to figure it out. Sounds like you guys have it. I tried hose clamps but they don't go small enough. I like the wire clamp. It is easy and simple.

Neil:yesnod:
Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Gold

thanks for the tips guys, in addition to Steve sending some new hose out my way...he also described how to properly set the tube on the machine. That being, clip the hose so you get a new seat, put the locking washer on the hose, and push both the hose and lock washer over the fitting at the same time! Ill do this first and see where that gets me....I also like the low budget wire clamp too.

Another great thing about owning a Lidsay Engraving tool....the undying support from both Steve and the community at large!!

you guys rock.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Platinum

If you use heat shrink - just use a small soldering iron.
It will heat the shrink and not the tubing (so much), and you can control what it touches.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

I like the Lindsay PC because even whenn you have to learn how to engrave, you don't have to learn how to use the tool.
Just three things, Idle controle, stroke length and pressure (oh and maybe whenn to switch to the carbide piston).
When I got my Lindsay it took just three minutes to install it.
Reading the manual was most work and in retrospect a good thing to do but hardly neccesary.
Must be me but its like that with a lot of equipment. Take mobile phone's, Moterola does NOT do it for me. It is completely incompatable with my logic.
Nokia on the other hand is much more down my street.
Lindsay (if a mobile phone) is like hitting home!

Stil deeply impressed :whoo:

ps, I have such a nice practise plate allmost finished (for a month) to prove it. Just have to add "thanks to Roland Baptiste" to it and I could show you :willy_nilly:
Old 06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Platinum

Daniel

You've hit upon the one truely overriding factor - some things just work (or don't work) for some people.

Doesn't matter how much better X is than Y if, in your hands, X is a dead squishy lump and Y leaps to life.

So far all of the engraving gear I've tried has seemed to like me so I get to chose what ever is best for the task at hand. And at lunch time, tucked into an unused lab space out of the way, it's my AirGraver Classic! :thumbsup:

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Platinum

I do like the portability issue of the Lindsay graver. It will make it easier to take to shows and it should be a draw for customers. I need to get a tank set up going.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:09 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Oh yes, the portability, how could I forget that. That was an important issue for me to. :yesnod:
Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Platinum

I guess also I like the idea of options. No matter how you go about your engraving it seems there is one for you. Since my foot was already trained I opted for the classic with foot control but those that are used to push gravers have the pc. Something for everyone.