Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Gold

Default Reno Rifle

I know many of you have seen this on the "other other" forum, so I apologize for making you look at it twice but, Steve said he would like to see it so here it is.
My part of the project is finished, but it will be blued and will have a custom stock that has wood inlays to match the engraving, It will be interesting to see it all together and finished, but I will have to wait and see it in Reno like everyone else. Brian

Old 08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Reno Rifle

An unusual and original design, very nicely done Brian. Thanks for posting it here also, hehe...
Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Hi Brian, Boy, that is nice, Did you use the tungsten piston very much on this or mostly the stainless?

Yes, I see the similar scroll you did on that practice plate. I found a link to the plate. Here it is.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Platinum

I love the design and execution of that piece Brian.

I like scroll that uses traditional elements, but has a unique take on leaves, etc.

You keep the "vocabulary" anchored in tradition, but not mired in it!

I esp. love the prominent leaf in front of the latch on the floor plate.

Take care,

Tom
Old 08-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Gold

Thanks for the good reviews guys. I realized how much I prefer knives, opposed to guns, while doing that project. I am a bit impatient, so dealing with smaller areas better suits me, and compared to a double gun this is a small piece. The next one I do I think I will approach differently, I will work on it until my interest begins to fade, and then put it away and cut on something else for a couple days. Should make it seem less like a marathon.

Steve, I use the tungston quite a bit, I like to do my general cutting with a slower (longer) stroke speed, when I shade I pop in the stainless piston and shorten the stroke and I get a pretty light touch. The nylon face I reserve for bulino line work and shading very small scroll work. Not sure if that is the typical way the tool is used, but its been working well so far. Brian