Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Platinum

Default Palm Control update

I've just finished cutting out the design outlines on the second plate of the carved gun using the PC, this was after using it for about half an hour a few weeks ago. It's surprising how quick you get used to it. The main hurdle to get over in the learning is (IMO).... because it cuts so easily, you have to learn to hold it back, it does all the work, all you have to do really is guide it!
I can see that for the absolute beginner the benifits would be seen almost straight away. As everybody who has learned to use a push graver knows they're not easy to control, this is almost like riding a bike.... ok, a slight exaggeration there, you have to be able to draw a little and also know which way to form the cuts, but it has surprised me

Phil
Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Platinum

Wink Re: Palm Control update

Phil, I almost feel I have cheated learning to engrave this way, I go back to hammer and chisel and push graver from time to time and know that I would never have gotten this far without power. But there is no way to cheat the art. You still have to develop that. Unless you copy someone elses work.

Neil:yesnod:
Old 06-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Palm Control update

Phil

That's what I've always said - power gravers make it easy to learn to get lines. Yes, you (the experienced ones) can teach a newbie to cut with push or H&C fairly quickly but getting that line cut is going to take a lot of their concentration for quite some time. With power we're almost instantly working on what to do with the line, rather than just getting a line.

It'll be interesting seeing what you can make the PC do for you beyond just the basic cutting.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Platinum

The PC is the best thing since the Classic with is the best thing since sliced bread!

It can make a not to good person put out some almost OK work and make that person feel good about what they did. That would be impossible with the push style. They just couldn't do it.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Platinum

I agree. I think that the person should make a commitment to engrave before they buy tools though. that would preclude the new equipment that alot of people have they don't use. the power tools make it look easy and then they are too lazy to do the art part.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Platinum

You know, another thing I like is the way it purrrrrrr's between cuts, it's as if it's saying " I like what you're doing".
Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Platinum

It's kind of like the engine rumble on a sports car stopped at a light. You can feel the eagerness to get going.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Thanks Phil, Did you work with the resistance screw on the back of the handle and the stroke adjustment ring some? Do you like resistance set at the 6:00 position?
Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 06-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Coggan
You know, another thing I like is the way it purrrrrrr's between cuts, it's as if it's saying " I like what you're doing".
:love: :dancing: Could this be love? Sure sounds like it and it don't take long to fall for that little gizmo does it? Glad you're having fun with it.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Platinum

You know it would be a good thing for new people to experience the difference in the power gravers right from the get go. The other guys are kind of a high pressure sales deal but More of us need to inform newbies about Steve's tool.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lindsay
Thanks Phil, Did you work with the resistance screw on the back of the handle and the stroke adjustment ring some? Do you like resistance set at the 6:00 position?
Steve
I have the 6.00 position and it's ok. At the moment i'm using up to 70 psi. Tungsten piston with a longish stroke and a .5mm flat chisel for deep background removal between the scroll on the second carved gun, then i'll be swapping over to a 1.5 mm flat tool for initial carving. Because of the smoothness of the cut it is possible to get within about 90% of the finished work.
I'ts going great!

Phil