Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Copper

Cool New engraver with a broken leg

Hello! My name is Paisley and I'm from western Maryland. I've done some metal work/jewelry making in college but engraving is a new exploration for me. I've been looking for someone in my area that could teach me hands on but for now I'm studying on my own via the Internet. I'm confident that I could translate my artistic skills into engraving with lots of practice and the right tools. I'd like to carve coins as well as engrave jewelry I make. I hope to eventually sell my work so I can raise money for fundraisers/nonprofits I'd like to support, as well as save money for an expensive surgery that my insurance won't cover.

I was planning to invest a chunk of money in an Airgraver + quality tools by now but broke my leg in a car accident so most of my money must go to bills until I can return to work. I'd like to use my recovery time wisely and start engraving ASAP, even if I can only afford some basic or used tools for now. I've made a few coins with sharpened nails and a cheap engraving machine but I feel like the crummy tools are what's holding me back.

I'd love any suggestions regarding tools or techniques. I can invest a couple hundred dollars into tools right now but I'm not sure what tools should be a priority to get started until I can purchase everything.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 PM
Steel

Default Re: New engraver with a broken leg

As a newbie myself take my advise for what it's worth but here's my suggestion.
A couple of Carbalt gravers, basic templates and diamond stones from Steve. A cheap drill press vise to hold your work. A chasing hammer. A square graver holder from Ngraver. A graver handle from Steve to do push graving. An Optivisor and a good desk lamp. I got a dozen 2x4x3/16 cold rolled steel practice plates from speedy metals. With a couple of good files you can reclaim them several times. When you get to the point you can hand push and h&c straight lines and simple scrolls consistently then you are ready for the next step. If it isn't your cup of tea then you haven't invested a lot to find out. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Platinum

Default Re: New engraver with a broken leg

Good advice above.