Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Steel

Default looking for a demo on nitro g20 in chicago area. DYING to try my hand at this tool!!

I've been a sculptor for better than a decade now working in a variety of mediums. I'm a master stone Carver with massive ammounts of experience utilizing airpower hammers for that particular trade. I'm chomping at the bit to start deep engraving aluminum motorcycle parts over here in Chicago's south suburbs. I'm besides myself with curiousity to see the level of complexity of cutting into aluminum and other soft metals. I'm certain I can do it proficiently with some practice but would like to get a quick test drive on one before I drop the big coin on a rig for myself! So if theres anyone in the chicago area with a classic or a nitro who would mind letting me take her for a whirl drop me a post! Thanks a bunch guys, look forward to hearing from ya

I'm also in need of some basic info. Most importantly specifically which equipment will I NEED to purchase to start deep engraving aluminum. ( being as strapped for cash as most I would like to start up with as little money out of pocket as possible so a general idea of price on a barebones rig would be great. Also as I'm a complete novice PLEASE don't leave out anything! Lol ) is in fact the nitro g20 the engraver i would want to use or are there others that do the job better? Can I run on a standard aircompressor? What is the typical life expectancy of a chisel before it becomes dull and unusable? Do engraver on this site occasionally or often sell their units? I have no aversion to purchasing used equipment in good condition for the right price.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum

Default Re: looking for a demo on nitro g20 in chicago area. DYING to try my hand at this too

Keber,

Welcome to the Engraving Forum ;

The Nitro G20 demo video is on the link below ;

http://www.airgraver.com/Air%20Engraver%20NitroG20.htm

If you are strapped for cash then get the Nitro with a foot contriol -$995

Foot Control,idle adjust,double regulators..................... -$249

The Nitro will work on any medium air compressor on DRY air.

Specifications;

http://www.airgraver.com/Air%20Engraver%20NitroG20.htm

Assuming you know about engraving,you will need a sharpening system,benchstones or a powerhone,and a couple of templates with the fixture.

These are available on the Engraving tools Page;
http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engrav...s_Overview.htm

All the best
SE

Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Steel

Smile Re: looking for a demo on nitro g20 in chicago area. DYING to try my hand at this too

Thanks a bunch for the reply SE! I had a chance to speak briefly with Steve. He informed me the he feels the airgraver classic with an optional deadblow piston will virtually give me the same results with the added benifit of being able to swap back to the standard pistion for detail work. If anyone can post a link to a starter package with everything I need it would be great! I guess the package would consist of an airgraver classic with an additional deadblow piston, a foot control, a array of chisels, and sharpening kit with templates and honing stones. I believe everything in my list is everything I need to start engraving... I think! Lol!! If ya guys see anything I missed lemme know please. Thanks in advance for the kit link to whomever can scrounge it up for me I already have a proper vise and aircompressor
Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to KeithPedersen
Default Re: looking for a demo on nitro g20 in chicago area. DYING to try my hand at this too

Check my website and click motorcycle. It was done with the classic, deadblow piston, and a hammer and chisel.I used 2 gravers, a 90 square and a flat.
Good luck and have fun!
Keith

www.keithpedersen.com
Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Steel

WOW KEITH! That's just what I wanted to hear! Amazing work. I just have two questions ( I hope neither are a breech of site or personal protocol ) 1. How long did it take you to complete all of the pieces? And 2. How much did you charge? Is an hourly rate the standard or is it typical to charge by the piece? The only reason I ask is because I would like to have an idea of how to price my work once my skill level increases to acceptable standards. Thanks for sharing the pics Keith, again... great work!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keber View Post
Thanks a bunch for the reply SE! I had a chance to speak briefly with Steve. He informed me the he feels the airgraver classic with an optional deadblow piston will virtually give me the same results with the added benifit of being able to swap back to the standard pistion for detail work. If anyone can post a link to a starter package with everything I need it would be great! I guess the package would consist of an airgraver classic with an additional deadblow piston, a foot control, a array of chisels, and sharpening kit with templates and honing stones. I believe everything in my list is everything I need to start engraving... I think! Lol!! If ya guys see anything I missed lemme know please. Thanks in advance for the kit link to whomever can scrounge it up for me I already have a proper vise and aircompressor
HI Keber,

I find Steves L advise always sound.

On the Tools page, this set, at this link ;

http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engrav...graving%20Sets

Foot Control Classic or NitroG20™ engraving set w/ sharpener

Choose the Classic hand piece and when you get the set you are ready to engrave and learn to engrave.All that you need to start engraving is there.

I will advise a starters class of 3 -5 days at an engraver near you if you can get one .It makes the start and learning curve a lot easier.Other wise just ask on the forum.

SE
Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Platinum

Keith,

I took the liberty to visit your website too.You have accomplished amazing nickel carving work.

SE
Old 02-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Steel

Hey se. Curiosity must have truly gotten the best of you to take the time and track down my website! I mean I didn't even post a link, didn't think most would appreciate work not done with metal. You did go to keberskustomkarvings.weebly.com right? The few pieces I have there are not actually from nickle. I built up a carving medium similar to that of bonding on various motorcycles and whittled away till I got some pretty neat stuff. Sanded them a ton the painted. If your curious to see some of my stone work ( where I feel I'm exponentially better ) then hit me up on Facebook. The names Tim Keber. Regardless... thanks a bunch for the compliment!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keber View Post
Hey se. Curiosity must have truly gotten the best of you to take the time and track down my website! I mean I didn't even post a link, didn't think most would appreciate work not done with metal. You did go to keberskustomkarvings.weebly.com right? The few pieces I have there are not actually from nickle. I built up a carving medium similar to that of bonding on various motorcycles and whittled away till I got some pretty neat stuff. Sanded them a ton the painted. If your curious to see some of my stone work ( where I feel I'm exponentially better ) then hit me up on Facebook. The names Tim Keber. Regardless... thanks a bunch for the compliment!
Hi Keber,

You are most welcome.

Actually I visited Keiths website (KeithPedersen) ,I am assuming you misread Keith for Keber.In my earlier post.
It happens, but if granted permission I would wish to see your website too ?

I put a link above for the classic engraving set you requested.

Regards
SE
Old 02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Steel

Yep se. That's exactly what I did! Lol! Thanks a ton for the link.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to KeithPedersen

Keber and SE thanks. Really enjoy carving the hobos.
Keber sent you a message.

www.keithpedersen.com