Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,981. Welcome to our newest member, Jtyler
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Steel

Default 3D Printers and engraving

Another engraving forum was talking about the clamor on 3D printed guns. While that is an unproductive topic 3D printing has its place in engraving. Here are a couple of fixtures that I have printed. If there are others that are doing engraving related 3D printing I would be interested in hearing from you and maybe we could swap STL files and ideas.

John C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holders.jpg (86.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cylinder_holder_2.jpg (92.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Platinum

Default Re: 3D Printers and engraving

out side the box thinking
Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Platinum

How is this done? I'm completely ignorant of newer computer technology. Are the devices made of paper or something else?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Steel

The printer printhead nozzle has a heater that melts a filament of plastic that is forced into the printhead nozzle. The heated plastic oozes out a 0.5mm hole and is deposited in a track as the nozzle is driven around the outline of the part over a flat plate. Once a track is completed all the way back to the beginning then the nozzle is raised 0.25mm and another plastic track is laid down on top of the first. In this manner plastic parts can be built up out of many thin layers. You can see the texture the layering process causes in my plastic parts. The plastic is either PLA or ABS. The attached picture is the 3D printer I am using. The orange line is the plastic filament going into the nozzle. On the printer flat plate is an orange test box being built. Blue painter tape is used to help the plastic stay stuck down to the plate during printing. I have about $1200 in this rig.

John C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MendelMax1_5.jpg (94.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Platinum

Really cool!

I hang up my hand making tools a while ago and joined the mass manufacturing game and have been expanding on my tools for engraving in cad. Hyper strict NDA means i cannot share anything since I started with the new company but the clip below show the beginnings of a script that is now in use in our factory en masse to create engrave bands/bangles and motifs.

we print to wax, using the guidelines to cut grooves from the pieces, mask of the relevant areas and elector strip the parts.. essentially it makes U cliffs into V valleys and for all the world looks "engraved".

Its been and interesting journey to nut out the process..

Thanks for sharing your printer, I am buying the kid one for Xmas (thats what I tell the wife.. little bugger will never get to touch it )

Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable. - (Sons of Anarchy)
Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Copper

Very nice John, I have a Rostock Max kit waiting on time to build it. You've given me some new Ideas. Thanks,