Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,864. Welcome to our newest member, herbhoover
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Steel

Question Foot control questions.

Ok after drooling, lurking, reading and fretting, I have finally gotten the money together for a graver kit. I love the thought of the palm controller but with the foot control I would have money left over for either a vise or a microscope setup.... either way this is a huge outlay of money for me, almost a quarter of my bring home pay for the year and I desperately want to do the right thing. I would mainly be doing jewelry, decorative car parts, and possibly firearms if there was a big enough demand to warrant a ffl.

All that to ask the following.

1: do those of you that have used both feel you were held back by using the foot control?
2: does the foot control act as a simple on and off switch or more like a throttle control like a gas peddle or the speed control on a foredom flex shaft?
3: if you had to prioritize purchases, in what order would you buy equipment? Graver,optic, engraver vise, speciality fixtures..... yadda yadda

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:56 AM
Copper

Default Re: Foot control questions.

After wanting one one for years and years ,I bought the engraver classic with foot control , made a bowling ball vise and made do with an optivisor . then bought Steve's Vise and then a Microscope . Make do with what you can afford ,until you can upgrade ,then do so for your own well being and enjoyment !
Old 04-12-2018, 03:51 AM
Platinum

I have used both but own and am completely comfortable with the foot operation version. The pedal control is variable not just on/off and if I were to list in order after deciding on your graving system (palm, foot, hand or h & c) I would have the graving block, optics (you don't need a microscope), sharpening system - I may have missed something but this will give you an idea.

Roger
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Steel

Being fairly new to engraving. I started out with a home made engraver with foot control, having never held one before I thought it was fine. Bought a cheap ball vice, used an optivisor, but bought Steve's sharpening system. The sharpening system kept me working without the frustration of improper geometry. After feeling fairly confident I was improving but seeing the limitations of the home made graver, I saved for the Palm control. Night and day difference in every way. Confidence grew, saved for a microscope. Still have the cheap ball vice and stool to set it on. The Palm control and microscope for me made it so much more enjoyable and easier to see my work and execute.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Steel

My thanks to everyone, I sent out payment this afternoon for a classic foot control kit. Can't wait to give it a go. Sure I'll be on here with a thousand questions later.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:02 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeronMarkedBlade1984 View Post
Sure I'll be on here with a thousand questions later.
We'll be here waiting to answer them
Old 04-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeronMarkedBlade1984 View Post
My thanks to everyone, I sent out payment this afternoon for a classic foot control kit. Can't wait to give it a go. Sure I'll be on here with a thousand questions later.
you wont regret it... i have not tried the palm one but, the foot drive is very intuitive, if you drive a car, and to answer your question it is a variable velocity....

stepping up to a microscope was big for me ... you wont regret.

welcome to the group
Old 05-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Steel

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would add to my older one. If those of you with experience could chime in I would appreciate it.

1. I am rather in awe of how powerful this small tool is, in my attempts to learn how it reacts at different stroke speeds I began to wonder do you put more wear and tear on the tool when operated at the longer stroke setting? I'm currently cutting in 1/8 mild steel and so long as I set the graver properly I can take quite a deep cut. Am I being "rough" on the classic using it like that?

2. Some of the templates have a concave area am I correct in assuming that those areas are to be ignored when shaping/sharpening?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:42 PM
Gold

Correct, ignore the concave sides. Follow the number, small template first.

http://www.engravingschool.com/forum...-for%20web.jpg
Old 06-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Steel

Ok great thank you for that photo it explains much!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Steel

I have an Artisan and also am curious: Can I "beat up" the handpiece by running it hard on occasion?
Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkulback View Post
I have an Artisan and also am curious: Can I "beat up" the handpiece by running it hard on occasion?

Hi, It can be taken to 60psi with stainless piston and 80psi with tungsten piston. Just keep the bore and piston clean. If you notice it is not idling as low as it used to, then that is a sign it is time to clean clean the bore and piston as described in the manual.
EngravingArtist.com