Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Steel

Default Gravers?

Does Lindsay make pre made Gravers? And if not is there anywhere that make night quality Gravers for the beginner while I learn to cut and make my own?

Cheers guys!!
Old 03-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Gravers?

MTC
You should just get Steve's basic graver sharping template set up.
You are going to spend a lot of time sharping Gravers. Might as well get the tools
Old 03-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Steel

Yes sir I am going to get everything to be honest but I am just looking for Gravers to practice with until I can afford to get all of the necessary equipment to make my own. Thanks for the feed back sir
Old 03-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Gold

Look for Presharpened Carbalt under Graver Blanks.

When I started I purchased the Universal 116 degree V template & this graver to use as a guide to sharpen correctly.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:39 PM
Platinum

To elaborate on the sharpening, you have to be able to sharpen your own Gravers. Even a small chip on the point will make the graver useless and almost impossible to control. Good luck
Save the Bucks put toward sharping tools.
Yea I know you want to cut metal and now, been there done that, this is a very long journey. Practice drawing while accumulating cash
Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Steel

Thanks for the advice sir, I was merely looking for Gravers that are pre made so I can have a little fun before getting into the actual sharpening element and buying those tools necessary to maintain and make my own Gravers! To which I fully plan on doing as I aquire all the equipment I am wanting. I am very well versed in art work and drawing as I have been a tattoo artist/artist for the last 22years, and all my life.... I also have worked with multiple meadiums through out my career as a tattooer and artist and am looking to merge my artistic skill as a tattoo artist with this new meadium and look forward to the journey involved as that my friend is the whole point for me! I do not expect this process to be an overnight thing!! And much as the same to tattooing you are only as good as your last piece, and learning everyday to better ones self if a something I am used to doing! Never to late to learn new things!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Platinum

Hi JD,

I think you're misunderstanding about the sharpening equipment - you'll be needing to resharpen your gravers within minutes of making your first cuts! I'll be very surprised if you make more than a couple of inches without breaking your first graver point - and then your engraving fun is over until you (successfully) sharpen your graver again.

Best of luck!

Tom
Old 03-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Steel

Thanks for the elaboration sir!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Administrator

There is a presharpened carbalt graver on the website sharpened to a 116 universal point. Here is a link to add one to your shopping cart As long as you stay in something like copper for practice you should get away for quite a while before re-sharpening would be needed. Like Tom said though, particularly when just learning points break often in steels. Copper would be more forgiving that way.

To touch (resharpen) this graver back up you'd just need the first item listed on this page link for $89 and a 2000 diamond bench stone $39

Also there are manual push sets on the site. To find them click here:
http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engrav...s_Overview.htm
and at the menu at the top of the page click "Manual Operated Engraving Tools".
EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Steel

Thank you sir, I am going to be ordering equipment soon, and among my order will be a few banks and of course the sharpening stones along with a few if not all of your graver kits to make my own and re-sharpen the ones I make as well! I am already getting copper blanks along with brass as well so I can get some practice in using the softer metals! I already have a few push Gravers and have been using them a lot getting basics down along with patience in technique and basic line work, shading etc. I will probably be calling you also sir just to speak with you about certain machines and what I am ultimately looking to do sir, thanks again sir for your time, and help!